Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy choices/weight accountability

It’s important to find something filling. If I eat the wrong thing then I will be hungry again in 2 hours. Both oatmeal and eggs keep me full for a long time. I don’t care for sweets but my downfall is salty snacks.

Okay, checking in. So far today I had half a cheese omelette and an Amy's burrito, which are my new favorite convenience food.

I am going to try eating three meals a day, no more than 300 calories a meal and see where that gets me.

It's hard to get much exercise here this time of year for me, as I can't walk outside in cold air. We've been mall walking and I am going to try to set up the exercise bike again--it was replaced by the Christmas tree, and it hurt my arthritic knees horribly, and the sheepdog dislikes anyone using it.

No more herding dogs for me.

Tybee I am surprised you can tolerate him with your asthma. By the time Noki died I was using my rescue inhaler daily. Only poodles or Maltese now.

Exercise is a necessity especially as we get older. I’m doing the recumbent bike at the gym 3-4 days a week for at least 45 min. At least 10 miles (85-90 rpm is my sweet spot). Lift some light weights. Do an aqua aerobics class. Walk.

I can’t walk because of my knees/sciatica. So it’s the bike or the pool. The bike aggravates knees/sciatica the least.

I workout so I can do the diving I want to.

Need to eat better though. Working on that.

On the subject of diets and weight loss... I have tried WW 4 times, and it didn’t work for me at all, I gained weight and was stressed and grumpy, trying to follow plans and suggestions, while avoiding allergens. Plus there was just too much focus to processed foods for me.

Fast forward to just a little over a month ago. I stumbled into the practice of intermittent fasting while I was whiling away cold rainy days browsing online, snuggled with dogs on the couch in late December. I decided to give it a try, couldn’t hurt, and I really need to loose some weight. Got surprisingly positive results, the biggest — my craving for caffeine has completely disappeared!

Basically, every 3 or 4 days, I don’t eat from dinner until dinner the next day. Now I have moved my dinner from 6:30ish up to 5ish. In about 5.5 weeks, I’ve lost 14 lbs. plus I have plenty of energy and I’m feeling much better. The key for me is fasting on a day I will be busy. I’m saving time and money, and losing weight. I’m thrilled. Way better start to the new year than I could have planned.

In Weight Watchers you can eat whatever you like, you just have to account for it. That is why
    i like it.

But mschrisgo2 I agree that at their workshops (formerly called meetings) half of the discussions about foods center on processed foods. I found myself buying chicken and turkey sausage because they are low in points. And then, today, I thought—whyyyyyy? The chicken stuff is disgusting and is loaded with sodium. The turkey stuff is bland.

Instead of this junk I just need to cook up some ground turkey or chicken with onions and garlic.

But then my fellow WW attendees share tips about frozen grapes. Frozen banana. Tiny portions of frozen sugar-free/fat free pudding for a low cal bit of sweet. Etc. So those tips can be useful.

Mschris, congrats! I think fasting is a decent way to approach this for many people.

So Tybee, I’m confused - the bike hurts you but you’re going to ride it?

that is a tight calorie restriction, so I hope you will watch your nutrition!

danna, how was today?

i did yoga with dh, ate hot cereal with maple syrup (maybe a couple teaspoons?)
    packed a banana and two 3” ciabatta rolls with butter and jam for lunch, and am now snacking on almonds.

dh won’t be home for dinner and I should just eat some food. Preferably vegetables. Maybe leftovers from last night.
    I skipped swimming with Dd today for a couple of reasons.

Not going to do bike now because of pain. Have another machine I can try.

ETA: Actually, all exercise hurts me except aquacizing in therapy pool. Walking hurts and I am sob. Getting up in the morning hurts. I don't think I will ever not hurt again, so it's exercise hurt or give up, and I think that is worse.

I am of the suck it up school of living.

Sounds like there's lots of support here - there have been daily check-in type threads in the past for frugals, environmental choices, simple living choices, etc, where anyone can chime in.

I am currently about 7 pounds over my preferred weight... down from about 10 pounds over in early January. After seeing my MIL in the beginnings of dementia over the holidays, and realizing how stressful this is and will be to our family in many ways in the coming years, I decided to begin lifestyle changes now to do what I can to have my sunset years be healthier. I researched recent papers on diet and dementia and compiled a list for myself.

I have always loved baked goods... and I'm not forbidding them now, but thinking instead, "Is this what my brain wants?" And most of the time, it is not. In general, I'm being better at doing all the things I already knew I should -- and it's easier for me because I can feel a sharper brain and I'm not really focusing on weight loss. Because when it comes down to it, the cheesecake will win over weighing a pound less in a couple of weeks. So taking the focus off weight loss has helped me. And, as noted in a couple posts above, once I reduced the sugary foods, the cravings and my overall appetite dropped.

Most of the things that have been linked to improved brain aging are the same things that you read about for cardiac health, because it's all vascular health. Lots of vegetables, very limited processed carbs and saturated fats, whole grains ok within reason (but recommended amounts far less than USDA pyramid!), daily exercise (intense, moderate, and weight-bearing), flossing teeth, and SLEEP.

Have you tried focusing on anti-inflammatory foods to see if it helps the knee and hip pain?

I don’t know what anti-inflammatory foods are.

I am a vegetarian with infrequent pescatarian lapses of the Michael Pollan philosophy (eat real food, not too much, mostly plants)

my doctor thinks I should be eating more tuna and salmon.

anecdotal evidence gathered over years starting in high school says the pain is weight related.

Thread Information