Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the value of being Middle-Class?

What's the value of being Middle-Class?

I ask because seeing that you have to work 40 to
    50 hours/week and then I have to come home and
    do chores too; it seems over-whelming. I already
    have a hard enough time working 30 hours/week plus.

Personally, I don't want a family. I just want a

quiet life and am happy with a one-room studio.

Then, dont. Dont be “middle class “ however you want to define it. And boy howdy do you have a soul mate on this board, if he stops in.
    But you have to be able to support yourself, have to afford that studio apartment, because at a certain point in your life you are leaching off others who support you.

I live as simply as possible so it keeps the chore of maintaining to a minimum. I have the ability but I lack the desire.

Most people manage their work and personal lives. If you want to work less move to a lower cost of living.

What is middle class? It's different in LA than it is in the rural Northwest.

It only matters if it matters to you.

Me? I opted to work my ass off for several decades to be able to retire at a very comfortable level in my mid-50s. It was worth it to me. 30h/week would have been a cakewalk for me. It sounds like your maximum. It will impact the lifestyle you can afford.

You've been soul searching here for awhile. Until you decide exactly what you want, you can't set goals to reach it. Then you have to decide how much work and effort you're willing to put in to reach that goal.

Edited to add: there is nothing wrong with resetting or downscaling goals. We did it many times. New car/old car. New house/older fixer-upper. Suits/sweats. Designer purse/whatever-who cares. Maturity helped with a lot of changes in need vs want. We don't need to keep up with anyone!

Not sure that the OP has correctly defined what being middle class even means. The definition of middle class has puzzled me often since about the only time I hear about middle class is prior to an election. Every candidate states that s/he is working hard to support the middle class.
    What is middle class?
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

One value is you are less likely to be mistreated by others, be it in medical care, law enforcement, etc. But I think race still trumps class when it comes to things like that.

One value is you are less likely to be mistreated by others, be it in medical care, law enforcement, etc. But I think race still trumps class when it comes to things like that.
    I'm not going to say what is more important, but if we look at jobs, people at lower wage jobs often take a lot more abuse than middle class jobs. Yes sure we might know a middle class person with an abusive job of course, I'm talking on average though. So it is a plus of being middle class, you TEND to be treated better at work on average.

What's the value of being middle class in addition to often being treated better at work:

-- having better access to healthcare (it's still not a great healthcare system in the U.S. but...)
    -- often having some paid time off benefits, like paid sick days and paid vacation, it may not be many, as the U.S. is not Europe. But it's something. A few states like California are starting to mandate everyone at least have a few paid sick days.
    -- sometimes having a set work schedule (some low paid work does not have any set schedule at all)
    -- not having to work MORE THAN one job to get by
    -- having enough disposable income/savings to handle small scale crisis. So big car repair bills due to wear and tear or an accident, needing some medical care that costs something out of pocket, rent goes up this year, computer completely dies and need a new one, have to move for whatever reason (or want to, say the apartment has rats or neighbors from heck etc.) and that REQUIRES first and last month rent to be able to do so. All of this takes not living absolutely paycheck to paycheck. Having enough disposable income to deal with things by spending money basically. Occasionally these things are even self-soothing, I'm not much for retail therapy or even paying for therapy, but to even have the option is worth something.

I don't actually care how people live except how it affects others and the world, I'm just answering the question: there are advantages to being middle class.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I think it's more helpful to think in terms of being self-supporting than being middleclass. So if I were in my 20's or 30's, I wouldn't be gauging whether I wanted to live a middleclass existence--I'd be concentrating on can I support myself and anyone I choose to bring into my family?

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't actually care how people live except how it affects others and the world, I'm just answering the question: there are advantages to being middle class.
    But still, what is middle class?

Thread Information