Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will he win?

The Iowa caucus reporting issues tonight certainly help with any concerns over transparency and such....

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The Iowa caucus reporting issues tonight certainly help with any concerns over transparency and such....
    No kidding. And make Mitch McConnell’s refusal to consider any legislation Involving securing our elections all the more enraging. But since the republicans know they can’t win on their nonexistent ideas I suppose his actions aren’t surprising.

Will he win what?
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    It's great to say that Trump is not my President... Rob
    If he isn't your president, then how can he be impeached? Why would you even worry about a second non term?

That is kind of the thinking that is causing the Democratic party, so much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    It would be interesting to see what the political tendencies are of the people ‘invested’ there are. If one reads the comment sections of faux news trump is a shoo in for re-election. If one reads other news site commenters he’s crashing and burning. What the gambling odds are is entirely a reflection of who is doing the gambling not a valid predictor of upcoming election results.
    What the gambling odds are is entirely a reflection of people putting their money where their mouth is. People don’t generally gamble to make an ideological statement. They gamble to win other people’s money. It would be interesting to see how the punditocracy prognosticated if they had real skin in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    No kidding. And make Mitch McConnell’s refusal to consider any legislation Involving securing our elections all the more enraging. But since the republicans know they can’t win on their nonexistent ideas I suppose his actions aren’t surprising.
    The process in Iowa is a private event run by the parties. You can’t blame Mitch or the Russians or our Space Lizard Overlords for this debacle. It is a demonstration of the organizational prowess of the Democratic Party.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The process in Iowa is a private event run by the parties. You can’t blame Mitch or the Russians or our Space Lizard Overlords for this debacle. It is a demonstration of the organizational prowess of the Democratic Party.
    I’m not blaming Mitch for the disaster in Iowa. Just pointing out the importance of election security and legitimacy, which is something that Mitch has specifically not been in favor of.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it's more accurate to say many people don't like an entitlement system designed to keep people poor, fraud and mis-use of food stamps, Medicaid and other entitlement programs and so on. Mis-representing and calling them hateful is indeed a powerful motivator and I think that, more than anything else, will guarantee his win.
    even with record unemployment the number of health uninsured has grown by millions each year Trump has been in office. Since we were promised better, cheaper insurance something is wrong.
    Student debt is rising. The homeless problem is huge.

See Reagan and the welfare queen myth.

So things are fabulous for a certain percent of the population. But for many it is far more difficult to see a future where no matter how hard you work, you are a car breakdown or illness away from total financial disaster.

No one will change the mind of someone who defends Trump no matter how many insults he hurls, how many sharpie worthy gaffes he makes, how high anti-Semitism rises, how high the deficit is, how many children are massacred, or how many lies he tells. While he, his children and cronies add more wealth to their overflowing coffers. So there’s that. No use arguing there are two distinct sides in this country and few budge unless they fall from the economic winners in this society to the Losers through no fault of their own. See farm bankruptcies, uninsured etc.

By by the way, during term 2 expect entitlements of social security and Medicare to be considered for cuts too while the rich get richer.. God help us.

Flowers, I totally agree with you. I saw that a guy that lives in the village’s was getting threats because he was a democrat. In response he is driving around with anti trump signs which is not what I would do. I didn’t realize how one sided the community was.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Flowers, I totally agree with you. I saw that a guy that lives in the village’s was getting threats because he was a democrat.
    During the 2012 election campaign, I went as a Republican delegate to the conventions from my county, part of my ill-advised experiment in direct participation.

Once the announcement of my treachery was revealed, I was shunned by a good part of the community (which is 65%-ish Democrat) for years, was yelled at face-to-face in the village, and all sorts of other fun stuff.

I was nearly lynched during the 2016 election cycle, when I wore my "Winter is Coming, John Snow 2016" t-shirt at the local pub.

Bae, that’s awful! My husband is Republican although not a trump lover. I have a few Republican friends plus a few democrats that voted for trump. No way am I losing a valuable relationship over politics.

Thread Information