Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper ballots

Paper ballots

I’m curious to see how Iowa plays out but it’s clear to me that we should be using paper ballots or at least paper voting receipts. The chaos in Iowa right now is unacceptable.

Do they even use ballots for caucusing though?

When I went to the WA state one, they just did nosecounts of the herds of people, and then the Folks In Charge reported it up the foodchain in a process which clearly was subject to tight audit controls....

Some sort of information must be filtering through the murk. Else how could Mayor Pete be boasting of “improbable hope becoming undeniable reality”. He’s risking looking pretty stupid if the numbers show his reality to be deniable.

We still have the choice of paper ballots in Cook County, IL (where Chicago is located).

We use paper ballots here.

We have paper ballots as a choice in the corrupt voting land of the Democratically controlled city of St. Louis. I am sure there is a way to thwart them.

DH showed up to work the polls one day to find someone had stolen all of the paper ballots. They were blank of course. But geez.

So I am a little confused here: voting is easily corruptible, but voter registration is not easily corruptible? I find it hard to keep up with with side is on the side of Right and Good.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Do they even use ballots for caucusing though?

When I went to the WA state one, they just did nosecounts of the herds of people, and then the Folks In Charge reported it up the foodchain in a process which clearly was subject to tight audit controls....
    No, they do the nosecount and then write it down on paper. They were using the app to upload the screenshot of the paper. Then things went awry:

"App failures during the caucuses

One precinct chair in Iowa describing the failure of the app, saying that the app got stuck on the very last step when reporting results, which was uploading a picture of the precinct's results.

The chair said they were finally able to upload and screenshotted what they uploaded. Then the app showed different numbers than what they had submitted as captured in their screenshot.
    This story is breaking and will be updated.

CNN's Jeff Zeleny contributed to this reporting."

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    No, they do the nosecount and then write it down on paper. They were using the app to upload the screenshot of the paper. Then things went awry
    Each "voter" at the caucus doesn't have a piece of paper though, right? The "ballot" in this case is the simple count for the entire caucus location? (Containing this year the complexities of more-than-one number....)

This whole "caucus" business needs to end if we are going to pretend that each Party's selection of its candidate is remotely democratic and inclusive.

Bae, I agree that we should go to primary elections only.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Bae, I agree that we should go to primary elections only.
    When I participated in the local caucuses, there seemed quite a few problems with the system.

This is in perhaps the most progressive county in the State, and the organizers were really trying to be careful about the caucus, but still:

- the attendees did not seem to represent the overall demographics of the local party, or of the community. In particular, people who had children seemed greatly underrepresented, probably because of the timing of the event, its duration, and such. The elderly and less-mobile were underrepresented. People with lower economic means were underrepresented. Our Hispanic community was almost absent. And so on.

- the process used did not encourage discussion, debate, decision-making, it was simply a mob scene

Thread Information