Page 19 of 123 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

I’ve been in touch with my counterparts in the old company’s other US offices and even one person in Germany. We always worked great together and helped out as needed. Had some contacts with personal cell phones or LinkedIn and others asked if they could share my personal cell with others. Had some good chats. They were shocked I was laid off.

Yppej
    If you were there 13 years and they didn't have you sign it until 2017 they would have to have paid you a significant sum otherwise it is unenforceable. If you signed it 13 years ago that is another story.

Yppej
    At my job more people are using up vacation days. Parents are getting burnt out watching the kids and having the parent who doesn't work from home or the grandparent take time off to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If you were there 13 years and they didn't have you sign it until 2017 they would have to have paid you a significant sum otherwise it is unenforceable. If you signed it 13 years ago that is another story.
    Nope. Signed it 2017 and didn’t get anything for it. I can’t even tell you when my last raise was.

I've been going over bills.
    *LA Fitness - $30- not billed for March (closure's). Next due 4/26
    *Natural gas - $13.10 account credit
    *Electric - $17 credit
    *Verizon Wireless - paid ahead 1 month
    *AT&T home internet - $50/month, paid this month and next with gift card I got from AT&T for getting service online several weeks ago
    *Rent - next due 4/31
    *Car payment - next due 4/20
    Credit card - due 4/9
    I am stocked up on food and toiletries due to virus situation.
    I'll get my last paycheck on Monday.

So apparently our office manager saw the same thing I did about virtual happy hours because she arranged them for the office, grouping anyone who wanted to participate in random groups of 5 or 6 people. I just attended my first one and it served its purpose. Four of the five of us are doing fine. One coworker, cooped up at home with two small children and her husband, was really stressed out and looked like she was about to cry a few times. Trying to manage her kids while getting work done, and worrying about her mom in a different state's health/safety has been quite a challenge for her. At the end she expressed much gratitude for the hour we'd just spent together.

jp - that's a good idea!

It was actually a lot of fun. And I look forward to the next one. The office does "Thirsty Thursday" each week, so I'm guessing this will be a weekly thing. At one point in our happy hour someone suggested that we each tell a funny story from school. So I told a story from a Communications class I took in college. The class was about great cinema. We watched movies like "Midnight Cowboy" and "The Graduate". And the professor, an old old lady, told funny stories from her life. Not sure I really "learned" anything, but it was a great choice for an elective.

The best moment in the class was when the professor talked about how her Shakespeare troop was asked to come perform in front of the very first TV cameras in the early 30's way before TV was a thing. The technicians just needed something to broadcast so they could test stuff out. The troop brought their heavy wool costumes but the lights were insanely bright and hot so between "performances" all the actors got out of their costumes. Additionally there were mirrors everywhere to make the lighting even brighter because the cameras needed as much light as possible. At one point between performances someone shouted "Geraldine! You're naked on camera!" It turned out that the mirrors were inadvertantly reflecting the actors' dressing area into one of the cameras that was still broadcasting...

I’m increasingly reminded of the book in the robot series by Asimov about the planet Aurora.

It would be a good read during this pandemic. It has nothing to do with pandemics but everything to do with social distancing.

“The robots of Dawn”

Thread Information