Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Took my MacBook into work today to make sure I could get onto the software we use. Turns out I can't get onto the "workspace" via Microsoft Remote Access. It couldn't figure it out since they were doing exactly what the software documentation said to do. They asked me to bring it in again tomorrow. IT was contacting the software developer for assistance.

I got my AT&T modem today. Got home, plugged it in, logged in, boom, and I have internet at home again. So much quicker than the old service. I'm very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Lloyds of London, the oldest insurance marketplace, has been transacting business in person daily in each underwriting "box" in the "room" at their building for their entire history. The underwriters sit in their box each morning as brokers come around and present that day's risks to them and negotiate policy terms. Those terms get finalized over lunch and then memorialized into policy documents during the afternoon. Tomorrow they are not opening up the room and everyone will have to do their business in the more modern way of using email and phones. As far as I'm aware this has not been done before. Lloyds leadership wants to learn what sort of impact it will have on the business if they have to implement this for any length of time. As an American insurance guy this is the way I've always done business but it will be quite a change for my London colleagues. It will be interesting to hear my coworkers' thoughts on this on our next monthly team call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Wow. How interesting. Please let us what your London coworkers think of it!
    If I were to make predictions I'd guess two things. One, 2/3 of everyone involved will just take tomorrow off as a PTO day. And second, the people who do show up at work tomorrow and try to make it work will hate it. The whole Lloyds way of doing business is super civilized.

A Lloyds underwriter or broker's work day goes like this:

1. They spend the morning talking deals.
    2. They go to lunch and verbally (or on bevnaps) finalize those deals.
    3. They go back to the office and put them down on paper.
    4. They meet up for drinks after work to confirm that the deals are done.
    5. They go home, relax with their family or friends, and show up the next morning to do it all again.

None of them want to get roped into the 24/7 always on lifestyle that so many other white collar workers live. And I don't blame them. For their sake I hope that tomorrow's test doesn't end up becoming a longterm reality.

For what it's worth, back in the pre-internet days NYC, the hub of US insurance, had a much less formal but similar structure for how insurance underwriting happened. Basically all the key underwriters were known for having a favorite bar to hang out at every afternoon within a few blocks of William and John Streets in lower manhattan. Brokers all knew where everyone would be and would show up, buy the underwriter a beer, and present their accounts and try to get deals done. As soon as email became common in the early 90's that all fell by the wayside and now underwriters all sit chained to their desks pounding through as many email submissions as they can every day.

My manager is off her rocker again today. She is not handling the stress of the current situation very well. She and the supervisor went off at lunch in search of toilet paper. The regional executive, who has a very odd sense of humor and is always pranking everyone, just called looking for manager. I told him she was at lunch looking for TP. I thought it was pretty funny (she doesn’t keep enough at home and was caught short-didn’t tell him that). She calls me screaming how dare I tell him that. Mind you, one time I told him she was at lunch he called and he later told her I told him she was out buying marijuana at lunch (it’s legal here now). I’m sure I’m going to get chewed out when she’s back in the office.

She was screaming the moment she walked in the office yesterday.

Traded, that sounds like a terrible place to work.

School.
    nect week is spring break.

the following week will be a second week of spring break comprised of unused snow days.

the week after that will be distance learning supported by online instruction and resources which I must provide. I teach hands on classes.

the week after that we will hopefully come back.

About a third of the parents started keeping their kids home last week. Half of the remainder are arranging play dates with schoolmates and friends from other schools who are also out. ��

One employee was told he may have been exposed at his doctor's office, but he tested negative and will be back to work Monday. This prompted me to cancel a doctor's appointment I have next week.

The San Francisco library just sent me an email that they are closing down entirely until April 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The San Francisco library just sent me an email that they are closing down entirely until April 1st.
    We were at the library here today when they announced they would be closing at the end of today through April 16. It was very unexpected, with no prior notice.

I canceled all my medical appointments and routine screenings. CL, how do they expect you to teach pottery online? The kids won’t have the equipment they need.

That is a very good question.

i actually managed to send clay home with six kids today. A little more warning and I would have done better.

my boss says I can schedule a window for parents to come by and pick up clay and tools. I can post instructional videos or step by steps and offer choices of completing a project or watching a video and giving feedback. I may require my studio class to lay out a plan for the remainder of the year taking into account drying times, glazing, and firings, and make sketches for their projects if they don’t have clay.

my modern pioneers should be starting seeds and making drop spindles. I may get them to do a project relating to self sufficiency in social distancing or tracking the resources they use and contemplating alternatives or something. Today I took in baby goats and we talked about goats and also about what one could do if one ran out of toilet paper.

Thread Information