Page 18 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Oh, you're not going to believe this! I believe I mentioned I have a non-compete. I remembered it said I can't take customers to a new company for two years. One of the customers must have contacted the office to see who would be handling her stuff now. Old company's HR just emailed me and said the non-compete says I can't even contact the old customers. If I don't stop immediately, they will be forced to pursue formal legal action. That is RIDICULOUS.

I don't have a copy of it. Non-complete is not among documents on the company ADP portal.

I didn't try to solicit business or even say anything bad about company. Just told customers I was laid off and it was good working with them.

They want you to form relationships with the customers, but they can't even bother to tell the customers when someone has left.

Don't know what is up with my bfs job (still has it for now). Another reason I dearly hope he can stay employed even though he is going to the office and there is risk there, unlike me working at home, especially as his boss keeps hopping on planes right and left (sheer lunacy as it's for pleasure not business!), is that it really does seem true that men base far more of their self-esteem on work than women. And I say that as a woman who was not doing well psychologically in unemployment at all (at least after it went on and on and on ...), and who needs to work.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Oh, you're not going to believe this! I believe I mentioned I have a non-compete. I remembered it said I can't take customers to a new company for two years. One of the customers must have contacted the office to see who would be handling her stuff now. Old company's HR just emailed me and said the non-compete says I can't even contact the old customers. If I don't stop immediately, they will be forced to pursue formal legal action. That is RIDICULOUS.

I don't have a copy of it. Non-complete is not among documents on the company ADP portal.

I didn't try to solicit business or even say anything bad about company. Just told customers I was laid off and it was good working with them.

They want you to form relationships with the customers, but they can't even bother to tell the customers when someone has left.
    Im not a legal expert by any means, but since they let you go, I have a hard time believing a non compete would be in effect.

Id do a little research.

A fellow choir member at church is a recently retired employment lawyer. I'll ask him about this.

HR just sent a copy of the document. Now to read it.

This is a relevant topic for me. When I went from working for a corporation to being freelance, my success was dependent on my ability to bring in clients. I don't believe that a few clients are going to trigger legal action from your former company, as long as no one makes any noise. I always asked myself if my clients went to X company because of ME or because of THEM. If it was because of ME, I risked it. If it was because of THEM, I thought twice. I've never been sued by my former company. I think the courts usually recognize individual agency in satisfying clients and favor the relationship unless there were extraneous efforts to pull a client away from the former company.

These are my thoughts and experiences and may not stand up to legal scrutiny.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    This is a relevant topic for me. When I went from working for a corporation to being freelance, my success was dependent on my ability to bring in clients. I don't believe that a few clients are going to trigger legal action from your former company, as long as no one makes any noise. I always asked myself if my clients went to X company because of ME or because of THEM. If it was because of ME, I risked it. If it was because of THEM, I thought twice. I've never been sued by my former company. I think the courts usually recognize individual agency in satisfying clients and favor the relationship unless there were extraneous efforts to pull a client away from the former company.

These are my thoughts and experiences and may not stand up to legal scrutiny.
    Thanks for your thoughts. Those were interesting.

Just out of curiosity, did you sign the non-compete agreement as part of an employment contract or in return for some amount of money at the time you were laid off? You didn't say in your posts and you can't be held to terms you didn't agree to.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

It was part of an employment contract back in 2017 that I'd forgotten about.

Trade, they would have a very hard time making that stick if they were to take you to court. It was part of your contract with them, they broke the contract by letting you go, the onus is on them. Especially since you were the only person in that position, I.e. they don’t have anybody who can take over adequately. Customers leave if their needs aren’t met, and former employees have no control over where those customers go. If they happen to land in the same place as you, it’s a happy coincidence. My take- don’t give it a second thought... besides being amused as they obviously scramble.

Thread Information