Page 55 of 69 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

This was our best day in months, not revenuewise, but because 2 of the 8 employees furloughed at my site returned to work.

Sorry to see the bad news, Tradd. Wishing you better next time....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Just found out the position went to the other candidate. They had carrier contract negotiating experience that I didn't have. I'd never done it. Think I'm going to probably have better luck sticking with the customs brokerage stuff. The industry recruiter says things show signs of getting better with the SAH order expiring later this week.
    sorry about that
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

My boyfriend gave notice today and is going back to a company that fired him a few years ago. I would not do that unless it was desperation indeed, but I expressed my fears and it is not my decision. There's an upside? Well yea significantly more pay. If you never have enough money it takes a toll (I have enough money, but happy to have adequate savings the pay is not my top priority). Maybe more career growth etc.. It's a family business whose rather dysfunctional dynamics I admittedly do not understand. Nor is the job he gave notice at ideal as there it's mostly they are sleazy and dishonest and sometimes breaking the law by their rather dishonest business practices, and no great room for raises or growth.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

This is what a 2900 room hotel looks like when it's closed for a pandemic.

2020-05-27 16.22.50.jpg
    2020-05-27 16.20.58.jpg
    2020-05-27 16.22.53.jpg
    2020-05-27 16.23.10.jpg
    2020-05-27 16.27.11.jpg

whoah, sad.

I was listening to a radio station talk show last week where someone was commenting on southern California mayor or city Council working on an effort to require empty hotels to home the homeless. Was either LA or San Diego.

Immediately I thought of your SO because San Francisco would seem to be Mecca for that idea. Why can’t they open those hotel rooms for the homeless? What could possibly go wrong with that? Ask your SO about that.

And speaking of San Francisco’s famous homeless problem, what are the obvious steps the city is taking to support homeless population during this COVID-19?

My city installed portable sinks to be used as wash stations attached to fire hydrants as the water source. I thought it was a good idea but there’s quite a lot of whining about how that doesn’t allow homeless People dignity and blah blah blah. But I think it gives them a place to wash their hands, better than what they had before which is nothing.

The city has rented out a lot of the less expensive hotels down by fisherman’s wharf for homeless people. And is even arranging for food etc. One of the problems with that is that none of the surrounding counties are doing this so the homeless grapevine has shared this info with homeless people from surrounding areas and lots of people are showing up to get whatever free stuff they can get.

I didn’t post the video but apparently no one was tasked with turning off the ‘back of house’ music. So all the non-public spaces of the hotel still have perky music blasting. I suppose if there are any ghosts in the building they appreciate it.

It has been hot and humid - yesterday in the 90's and today the 80's - and some of the employees who were wearing masks all the time have stopped altogether because it is just too hot. They work in a part of the building with no air conditioning. I cannot imagine wearing a mask for long periods of time in hot settings like the beach. I do not think tourism will rebound in areas where masks are mandatory even if the businesses do reopen.

Dermatologists are also reporting skin dents, acne, and other skin irritations from frequent mask wearing. Masks are not a simple, easy health measure as some portray them to be.

Thread Information