Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Many countries are using "don't test, don't tell".
    None more so than the U.S.

Trump announced at the CDC "Anyone who wants a test can have one." Tell that to health care professionals who have been exposed to known victims and still can't get tested.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Very timely topic, Tradd.

Normally this would be my peak season and going into the season until just this past few days overtime was available, pretty much as much as I was wiling to take on. Now we have had some large cancellations out of nowhere - due to the virus and associated fear - and now I find myself with unexpected time off.

Taking advantage of my time off to spend a couple of days in Los Algodones, Mexico. I want to stock up on meds and herbal immunity boosters at the health food store in town - the6 often have wonderful herbs from Chiapas State in far south Mexico. Also want to get my teeth cleaned before things may get worse with this virus so I can keep up my investment in my teeth but at human, non-American prices. Also will pick up two dental night guards, much less expensive in Mexico.

This may well be it for me for traveling this year - I have debated spending the time I was going to spend in Thailand - or Morocco which I briefly considered returning to - in New Mexico. I might just take a breather in Las Cruces or Deming or some smallish town/city in the New Mexico desert.

But to get back to your ?, yes, I have just been impacted job-wise by this virus and I have no idea how things will unfold going forward. Good thing I have been saving money and have not really raised my standard of living since being promoted. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    It appears that domestic travel bans aren’t going to be needed. People are doing it themselves. SO works for one of the big hotel brands. A month ago their flagship hotel here was fully booked for next week. As of yesterday their bookings for next week were at 30% with more cancellations happening every day. I assume this is happening all over the country. An awful lot of hotel workers aren’t going to be earning much money until the situation improves.
    Hourly hotel workers here in Phoenix that I know that work on Airport Row - a strip of 44th Street here in Phoenix very close to the airport featuring a number of large, business-traveler oriented airport hotels - have had their hours cut back. I don't know how this is going to play out going forward as tourism and the airport are the dominant employers in my neighborhood. Not looking good at the moment. In a worst case scenario as far as employment goes, however, many of these people have family in Mexico or points south they can return to for a place to sleep and some food - not all are at risk of homelessness, thankfully. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Serious question - how many people can truly handle telecommuting successfully, ie, need the sense of others sharing the space and a visible supervisor?
    Interesting question. What I do can't really be telecommuted other than for basic end of day shift closing reports and any client complaints/issues (the paperwork regarding such, I mean).......and even though I'm a hard core introvert, I'm not sure telecommuting is a good fit for me personally. I really do appreciate the structure of being required to be on site and that working lends to my life. I also believe this is a big reason that some folks in lower income neighborhoods go down the wrong road(s) - the lack of structure in their lives. Rob

Hubs teaches motorcycle safety classes on the weekends, one of the people he teaches with was quarantined on a cruise ship so he had to take on an extra class. That's about the extent of our impact so far.

I think the biggest thing about telecommuting is that you don't have to keep up appearances. When you've done your work you can do a crossword puzzle and wait for more work to come along, you don't have to arrange your pencils like a flower bouquet, offer to empty the wastebaskets or take over someone else's ignored sh*t work in order to look like a team player. Not having office dynamics is a godsend.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    I think the biggest thing about telecommuting is that you don't have to keep up appearances. ....
    I've discovered I don't even need to wear pants for the early morning status videoconference :-)

Just yesterday, IT and executive ask who in my dept didn’t already have access to work at home and has internet at home.m

Back story: I had gotten rid of my AT&T internet in October as it was slower than that through my Verizon Wireless unlimited plan. I’ve done just about everything off my iPhone since then, with occasionally tethering MacBook to iPhone. Well, I’ll have internet at home on Thursday. $50/month (old service was $40) and faster. I ordered it online so I’m getting a $100 gift card. I’ll be glad to have it again anyway. I listen to too much streaming audio and I was always going over limit and getting throttled.

Work doesn’t have enough laptops, so they sent us links to download the bit of software needed to access our industry software. Quite a change from their most recent stance. The plague has made them change their mind.

I've had 5 video conference meetings so far today, didn't have to leave the house. I could get used to this!

My household still trudges off to work every day. No options for work-at-home.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

My employer just announced that all business travel is suspended until further notice and that we're strongly encouraged not to attend any meetings with groups of more than 20 people. Further, after the success of last week's "work from home" test, all employees who want to can work from home until further notice.

Thread Information