Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Interesting, although lengthy, article about working from home, that does a good job of looking at it from all angles. Apparently about 50% of people who were employed pre-lockdown in the US started working from home.

Before the lockdown I officially worked from home full time. The reality, though, is that I also left home for lots of face to face meetings. Checking my calendar I did nine work trips between last June and this February, usually for 3 days out of the office at a time, either to industry conferences where I could meet lots of insurance brokers in a short amount of time, or to our home office in Chicago for various reasons. And my boss came to San Francisco twice during that time, which meant a couple of days going to non-stop meetings around the city. I'm not loving being home 5 days/week week after week, but like many people in the article say, my productivity is up based on the metrics by which I get judged and I question whether I needed to be traveling as much as I was. That said, once there's a vaccine or solid treatments for people sick with covid, I will undoubtedly be doing a blizzard of travel because there are a whole lot of insurance brokers that I owe dinner/drinks/lunch to thank them for all of the business they have been successfully placing with me over the past several months.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ork-covid.html

We were scheduled to have July 3rd off since the 4th falls on a holiday, but now we have to work to try to make up for lost business due to the pandemic. Normally if you work a major holiday you get paid for it plus time and a half, or 2 1/2 times pay, but now they are calling it a minor holiday and those who work it only get a floater to take at a later date of their choosing and straight time for the hours worked.

Someone took down the employees only sign to the office area. It is probably the manager. One customer asked him if he could come in today and he said "Sure". Last week one customer who is his buddy kept going in and out of the office. This goes against corporate policy.

Another furloughed employee is coming back Monday.

Employees are touching each other again - hugs, high fives, fist bumps, no hand sanitizing before or after. I am not one of these people.

That is good that employees are coming back. I agree that the touching would make me uncomfortable in the current circumstances. We had a visit today with a friend/former employee of mine who I only get to see once or twice a year. We did a socially-distanced outdoor visit and stuck to verbal expressions of affection.

I went to a yard sale today and everyone was wearing masks unless really really far apart but it was about 90 degrees, and I was surprised to see a young man with a baby there--I would not take my baby out someplace like that, I guess. I'd be worried. I know my son told me my granddaughters haven't been to the grocery store since this started.

I don't know, if I was in charge of a young one, I'd probably be the same way, err on side of caution and do lots of family picnics and outdoor stuff. They are starting to socialize with friends with kids again.

Don't know why anyone would be touching anybody right now, outside their little quarantine grouping.

Just found out thru Nextdoor that our downtown hardware store owner wont let his employees wear masks. It is a very small store with tiny aisles and employees cannot social distance with the customers. I am not going to that store as he does not, in my opinion, treat either his employees (some of which are over 65) or his customers safely. We have another hardware store a little farther away that does require all their employees to wear masks and this is the one I will choose. I let him know why via message.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Just found out thru Nextdoor that our downtown hardware store owner wont let his employees wear masks.
    Wacky.

That is simply the law here, and the county health officer will close your business if you don't follow the rules.

I don’t even know what the requirements are from our various levels of government, but
    I wear as mask. As do most people I see inside business establishments.

It’s the law now in California too. And people are reporting businesses right and left, although the adherence seems to be some what regional thus far.

Thread Information