Page 66 of 71 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgermany View Post
    @Tradd: I guess the manager was not allowed to hire replacement for you and supervisor found that she cannot handle your part of the business herself.
    So she was clever enough to leave quickly before getting fired for mistakes.

Do you know the new broker of the former customer? That's where I would apply for a job immediately. And use customer as reference person.
    Good luck for your job hunt!
    The broker in another US office of former company has been doing the clearances I used to do. He told me he’s been doing a ton of extra hours but since he’s a supervisor, he doesn’t get OT. My former department consists of the idiot manager, Princess, and a guy who does exports (and he was transferred from an overseas office last year). That’s it. The broker the former customer is using doesn’t have a Chicago office.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    A former customer I was friendly with outside the office (phone calls and such) called me last week and told me he had moved his business to another broker. My former company wouldn’t come right out and tell him that they could handle his complicated customs clearances without me doing them.

Can’t remember if I posted this earlier, but I found out two weeks ago that my former supervisor left within the past couple of weeks and went to another forwarder. She was really close to the idiot manager and I’m surprised she up and left.
    Schadenfreude, defn. See Above. (not you - you're too classy, Tradd. But I'm feelin' it.)
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Trying to schedule a phone interview for a customs broker job. They emailed me this afternoon.

Trying to schedule a phone interview for a customs broker job. They emailed me this afternoon.
    Good luck!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Just got a call from the school alerting me that they just posted Part-Time Summer job on the website. I just finished submitting the application! Although they had the wrong application up and this was more for a substitute teacher - lol. Regardless, they know me and know I'm cleared to work (all prior paperwork done!) This would be a great introduction to the job, itself, and a good way to see whether it will be a good "fit" or not. Don't want to get too excited, but... !
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Good luck, happystuff!

Good luck to both of you!!

We were told today if we vacation out of state we must quarantine for 14 days when we return and it will be unpaid, we cannot use our sick time or anything for it. Given that we have numerous employees who live in one state and work in another and they are still being permitted to come to work this was an unexpected move.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    We were told today if we vacation out of state we must quarantine for 14 days when we return and it will be unpaid, we cannot use our sick time or anything for it. Given that we have numerous employees who live in one state and work in another and they are still being permitted to come to work this was an unexpected move.
    That’s crazy. I assume you live very close to the border.

That’s crazy. I assume you live very close to the border.
    I can see Point Roberts out my window here. I go there quite frequently - one of our paramedics here used to be the fire chief there, and has a great pub right on the water in Point Roberts where I can pull up my little boat, wade ashore, and have a burger when he's off-shift. (Well, I did, before Covid).

Point Roberts is an interesting community. To get to it by land, you have to drive through Canada - it is on the tip of a peninsula near Vancouver that sticks just below the 49th Parallel, an area of about 5 sq. miles. You have to go through customs/immigration to twice to get there - once into Canada from the US, then drive a few miles through Canada, then through a station from Canada back into the small exclave of the USA.

The people there routinely cross the border to do their Needful Business in Canada, as that's where most of the shops and services in the region are. However, due to the Covid Pandemic, the border is closed, and will remain so for some time. Only way into Point Roberts now is by boat or air. Quite a problem for the community.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Roberts,_Washington

Thread Information