Page 14 of 71 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I see that a few electric utilities are quietly "sequestering healthy employees", in effect, asking them to live at their job site.
    My SIL is one of those people. She’s an electrician for the utility that serves the St Louis area. It was optional. She’s getting paid double time, 24/7 for two weeks. Will be banking just over $30k. She’s not complaining. And her coworkers who don’t want to be there because they have family to care for are probably glad she’s willing to do it.

Happy belated Birthday, Tradd. Glad you are still working and hope things improve for everyone!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Happy Birthday, Tradd! After this is all over, you should pick a "Tradd Day" and do something special for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Happy Birthday, Tradd! After this is all over, you should pick a "Tradd Day" and do something special for yourself!
    Thank you! Actually, that’s not a bad idea! Dive - all I want to do is dive.

We got letters stating we work in an essential business in case we are pulled over by police. One of our business lines that is not essential is being suspended and the personnel there shifted to the essential side of the business. Since we are now overstaffed all overtime has been eliminated.

Today was lovely and quiet. Very few phone calls. Most of my customers are working from home, so it’s almost all emails.

I’m busy, though. Pretty much the only import person (supervisor does some) now, and I’m swamped, especially since stuff is shipping from China again.

More traffic on the roads than expected n

bf may lose his job, heaven knows what will become of any of us (and that's assuming we don't die ). Holding on to my job for now, working from home, on slow internet.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

If he loses his job you can move in together which will have many benefits.

I'm home working from home all day because I can't go to work due to work from home being the law here now plus attempts to keep us safer (and they do no doubt keep us safer). It's a one bedroom apartment. He can't just go and hang out at a coffee shop and look for jobs in the day while I work, as all coffee shops and restaurants have been closed, as have all gyms etc. etc. I mean there is pretty much no where to go but for a walk (who ever knew walking would get so popular, I've never seen more people walking in my life), everything is shuttered, closed by law. There probably aren't even any support groups at the unemployment office. Sure there were when I was unemployed, but all group activities are cancelled everywhere pretty much, noone is meeting in groups for ANYTHING. We aren't even supposed to visit other people really. So there is nothing he could do but hang around in my one bedroom apartment while I hung around in the living room and worked (assuming I have work). There is no other room to go into but the bedroom, and of course there is no yard to putter around in. And I have to work, or I have no money either, and that work has to be from home now, there is no more going to the office for any of us for who knows how long (legally it's a month now, but that could get extended).

It's not my idea of many benefits, is there anyone this really appeals to, having to work all day in a room, with your partner in the same tiny room who has nothing to do. I mean is there anyone who says "oh romantic" to that.

I don't even know what one is supposed to do on losing a job now, I guess if one is furloughed they can hope it comes back. I mean ordinarily I know what to do when unemployed, look for work. Maybe it's a deep recession and there are 1000 applications for every job, but still the only thing is look for work. But with vast quantities of businesses closed by law, vast quantities of the rest 100% work from home also by law ... this isn't an economy "in a recession", this isn't even an economy at this point.

There is a moratorium on evictions though so one can go many months without paying rent I suppose, but I believe one just runs up debt if they do. If I had one wish from a genie: it would be for those I care about to be healthy and make it make it through this alive and well. But if I also had a second wish, he'd keep his job.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I was going to ask what those benefits were but I think ANM did that sufficiently well.

I’ve lived with SO for 15 years. He’s a great guy. But I dread the idea that he may have to start working from home, or worse, get furloughed for the remainder of this pandemic.

Thread Information