Thread: Last Day Open

Last Day Open

Today is the last day the gallery is open to the public. I have been running a 50% off sale since Saturday and all the commissions are going right back to the artists. The gallery is not taking their cut, as we wanted to let the artists have one big blowout weekend. Then it is a full month of returning artwork back to the artists, working on paperwork and dealing with the displays and fixtures. The actual real estate closing date for the gallery is November 18th.

However, I will be employed all the way through the end of December because my employers are totally awesome and take care of me very well. I am also getting a nice severance check as well (too bad I'll have to pay quite a bit of taxes on that, I bet). I'm not sure if I am going to file for unemployment because I just don't want to deal with being tied into that system. The next job I get will really depend on how much I can do with my hands. I really do not want to be a gallery-minder for anyone else, because I hate sitting and twiddling my thumbs all day long between customers. And frankly, I am a bit sick of retail anyway. And I really only want to work part-time, if possible, and get more jewelry made so I can add a gallery.

Anyway, the future is wide open for me and I feel pretty good about it. It's going to feel weird to lock the door tonight after the last customers though!
    Last edited by SiouzQ.; 10-19-21 at 10:14am.

This all sounds good! I am so glad you made this move to NM!

Wow. It's been fun going on this journey with you, SiouzQ. We all wish you well on your next one! It really sounds great to be able to focus on your art.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I would apply for unemployment as you certainly earned it.

I hope today ends up being a really good day for you. And that tomorrow and whatever new path you take is just as good. Best of luck and have fun trying different things!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Good luck!

The gallery where DW sells her work had an outstanding season (summer of 2021). I have a hunch that the pandemic isolation combined with the stimmies from the government have made the traveling public ready, willing and able to buy objects that are aesthetically pleasing. I believe prices generally went up, up and away over the summer. This is one of those times when more artists are receiving more validation from more buyers in the market.

Celebrating with an "art" photo of a blossom on a Pineapple Sage plant, which I potted and moved in to the sun porch before the first frost. This bunch of blossoms is 44 inches above the base of the plant. If I were a little pollinator, I could hardly resist those droplets of nectar!
    000_0580 (2).JPG

Very pretty!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Time for another chapter, but it sounds like you'll have total closure on this one and will be happy about it!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information