Page 84 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Oh no I can't do the music while working, I'm a full on introvert, I need *quiet* to concentrate. When I'm not working sure. During a break from work I could try music, maybe better than checking the news - there really is no good news, but not while actually working - way too distracting.
    Trees don't grow on money

Oh, see, I have to have something going in the background.

Got paid from new job today. Only get paid monthly on the first. Paid all my bills. Since my health insurance will be covered 100%, that’s like getting over a $3K raise. Health insurance starts October 1st. I’m on the temporary policy through mid-September, so I won’t be covered for two weeks. I can deal with that. New boss will reimburse me for temporary policy in August.

I linked my Vanguard IRA (rollover 401K from two jobs ago job I left in 2006) with my bank account so I can transfer $$ to it, as I’ll not have a 401K at new job (company too small).

I tend to need noise of some kind in the background, too. Mostly noise I can ignore.

Your new situation sounds ideal to me--I probably would have disliked corporate work less if I could have worked from home.

Re noise: I have said this before, but one of the benefits of having two houses is DH being gone a few days a week and I have utter peace and quiet—no radio.

He is home at the moment, and this morning I woke up to blasts of the stupidest radio show on earth, a buy-and-sell call in show where callers describe Crap they have to sell. This is got to be the most inefficient way to sell stuff, and they’re all old geezers with stuff no one wants.

How funny! We used to listen to Click and Clack on Saturdays. I miss that show.

Your DH show sounds very local!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Re noise: I have said this before, but one of the benefits of having two houses is DH being gone a few days a week and I have utter peace and quiet—no radio.

He is home at the moment, and this morning I woke up to blasts of the stupidest radio show on earth, a buy-and-sell call in show where callers describe Crap they have to sell. This is got to be the most inefficient way to sell stuff, and they’re all old geezers with stuff no one wants.
    haha! Two comments on that:

DH keeps the TV on all day, whether he's watching or not. I really like peace and quiet, also. So I'm always muting or turning it off when he's outside. So I get what you're saying about the annoying nature of background drivel.

Also, similarly, I would like someone to explain to me the attraction of HSN and QVC. I have NEVER understood why people would volunteer for an hour of commercial advertising for crap they don't need. I just don't get it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    haha! Two comments on that:

DH keeps the TV on all day, whether he's watching or not. I really like peace and quiet, also. So I'm always muting or turning it off when he's outside. So I get what you're saying about the annoying nature of background drivel.

Also, similarly, I would like someone to explain to me the attraction of HSN and QVC. I have NEVER understood why people would volunteer for an hour of commercial advertising for crap they don't need. I just don't get it.
    I wonder if it has to do with altered consciousness due to illness--say dementia, perhaps? When I was in the hospital on morphine, I found myself very drawn to those online shopping shows and bought 6 magic bullets for everyone. I thought the shark steamer was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

They explain their products in depth, which can be useful before you hop over to Amazon and buy the same product for less...

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I don't get it either. During the last 5 or so years of my Mother-In-Law's life she was addicted to the Home Shopping Network. She bought tons of useless stuff that she would eventually return for credit, so much that they eventually banned her from making purchases.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    My DS and DB are tech geeks who like to watch when these shopping channels sell computers and the like, going over the features, then the two of them discuss amongst themselves their own opinions on them.

Thread Information