Page 20 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

I've been going over bills.
    *LA Fitness - $30- not billed for March (closure's). Next due 4/26
    *Natural gas - $13.10 account credit
    *Electric - $17 credit
    *Verizon Wireless - paid ahead 1 month
    *AT&T home internet - $50/month, paid this month and next with gift card I got from AT&T for getting service online several weeks ago
    *Rent - next due 4/31
    *Car payment - next due 4/20
    Credit card - due 4/9
    I am stocked up on food and toiletries due to virus situation.
    I'll get my last paycheck on Monday.
    look at CORBA and/or the ACA plans out there, maybe your existing coverage still lasts a bit. Bearer of bad news here, but it popped out in terms of necessity (maybe more so in a pandemic, ugh!) bills.

Auto (and homeonwers/rental?) insurance and taxes and car taxes maybe some day depending on when these are due. If it's awhile you may be long since at a new job by then. But health insurance is monthly and you have to sign up about a month ahead or so in my experience.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    look at CORBA and/or the ACA plans out there, maybe your existing coverage still lasts a bit. Bearer of bad news here, but it popped out in terms of necessity (maybe more so in a pandemic, ugh!) bills.

Auto (and homeonwers/rental?) insurance and taxes and car taxes maybe some day depending on when these are due. If it's awhile you may be long since at a new job by then. But health insurance is monthly and you have to sign up about a month ahead or so in my experience.
    Health insurance ends Monday. I was told I'd have to wait for several weeks before I got the packet about COBRA. No clue on cost.

Renters insurance ($115) is due 5/11. I'd just paid half on my car insurance (policy renews 4/11) and second half ($265) isn't due until 6/10.

Car license plate renewal is in May. $150. Just have to have it done by end of May.

I get my last paycheck Monday. I'm going to see how much it is and then assess from there. A few friends I've helped in the past have asked me if I needed any help. I told them that if they wanted to send something my way, I'd be grateful for it.

Unemployment here is swamped. People are now being asked to apply on certain days of the week, depending on what letter their last name begins with. Last year there were something like 30K applications by late March. There were 34K just on Monday of this week. Saw that on the news yesterday.

I also have $160 cash I'd taken out of the bank several weeks ago. I'll keep that on hand for groceries.

Pulled out my InstantPot today. Haven't used it too much. Did 1 doz hard boiled eggs. Egg salad sandwich for lunch.

I definitely have plenty of food.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Health insurance ends Monday. I was told I'd have to wait for several weeks before I got the packet about COBRA. No clue on cost.

This does not sound legal--please consult with an unemployment lawyer on this and the non compete. Lots on the net about Illinois non-competes and it looks like Illinois does not like to enforce them when it means someone will not be able to get another job?

Anyway, I would def talk to a lawyer, as one reason the non compete is uninforceable is if the firing is illegal, so I would be talking to someone knowledgeable.

Good luck.

The non-compete is actually a non-disclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I hate to be Debbie Downer, but in my experience, COBRA sucks. Another argument for universal health care. COBRA is very expensive.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Our experience with cobra has been the same as Catherine’s.

Cobra tends to be expensive yes. However most doctors wouldn't even take my ACA plan, so I'm much more open minded about looking at alternatives to the ACA, but still one has to live within whatever money they have, and Cobra might be out of the question considering what it tends to cost. Someone somewhere loves their ACA plan maybe, but I hate them. The ACA sucks. And it's expensive as well, but less than Cobra generally.
    Trees don't grow on money

I had a good PPO plan. Cost me $250 a month. So I can’t imagine what it would be under COBRA.

Two customers just reached out to me via LinkedIn (I had not been in contact with them before outside of work) and thanked me for my help and such.

Yppej
    Raises, scheduled to go into effect Monday, are on hold indefinitely. The dress code has also been suspended for a week now. The boss got us all lunch in appreciation of our hard work at a time of crisis.

Thread Information