Page 29 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Yppej
    Yes, essential is in the eyes of the beholder. Public golf courses are closed in my state, but private ones are open. Some people are going across the state line to Connecticut where public courses are open.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    That is just bizarre, but given the stuff that has been going on with companies lately, I'm expecting them to treat people badly.

I just found out that an engineer who had been with his company for 25 years, and was on the verge of retiring (no company pension) was just laid off. He didn't even know what sort of severance, etc., he was going to be getting as it was being mailed to him.
    Employer - employee relationships have changed so drastically over the years - in my opinion. And especially moreso now. There seems to be no "job security" or "longevity rewards" (i.e. pensions, etc) any more. It's going to be interesting to see how all this shakes out down the road.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The few job postings I *might* have qualified for have disappeared. There are either management or entry level positions out there. I think I'm just going to hang tight for a few weeks. I'm just wondering what I will have to put down when I self-certify with unemployment every two weeks. I've been told by people in other states that if you were laid off due to the plague, you can just put "coronavirus" in the fields where you would have listed companies you had applied with. I haven't been able to find anyone in IL that has been getting unemployment yet under the current circumstances. The IL unemployment website doesn't really even address the situation. I don't know if the approval letter I will receive in the mail will address this. https://www2.illinois.gov/ides/Pages...-Benefits.aspx

And what are you supposed to do when you are working with a recruiter? The last and ONLY time I got unemployment was 1992.

I just checked the USPS website Informed Delivery tool (shows you an image of the front of envelopes you'll be getting that particular day). I'm getting a letter from the IL unemployment department today.

That sounds promising!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    The few job postings I *might* have qualified for have disappeared. There are either management or entry level positions out there. I think I'm just going to hang tight for a few weeks. I'm just wondering what I will have to put down when I self-certify with unemployment every two weeks. I've been told by people in other states that if you were laid off due to the plague, you can just put "coronavirus" in the fields where you would have listed companies you had applied with. I haven't been able to find anyone in IL that has been getting unemployment yet under the current circumstances. The IL unemployment website doesn't really even address the situation. I don't know if the approval letter I will receive in the mail will address this. https://www2.illinois.gov/ides/Pages...-Benefits.aspx

And what are you supposed to do when you are working with a recruiter? The last and ONLY time I got unemployment was 1992.
    I went back and looked - the paper unemployment notices I received in the mail didn't say anything about special codes for virus unemployment. They just contained the normal "you are required to seek work" information. Will have to check the website, itself, and see if there is anything special there for my state.

My last and only time on unemployment was the late 70's. Things have DEFINITELY changed. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

It took two weeks!

Just opened my letter from unemployment. My certification date is Wednesday (next week). Then it's 2-3 business days to get $$. So I might not even get my direct deposit until the following Monday!

I'm financially fine, it's just ridiculous how long this takes!

Yppej
    Our business is down 25% compared to last April. No more layoffs today. Fingers crossed for next week.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I went back and looked - the paper unemployment notices I received in the mail didn't say anything about special codes for virus unemployment. They just contained the normal "you are required to seek work" information. Will have to check the website, itself, and see if there is anything special there for my state.

My last and only time on unemployment was the late 70's. Things have DEFINITELY changed. LOL.
    OK, I got some clarification. You have to keep a record of your job search, but you don't submit it now. Only if they ask. You're required to keep the records for a year inIL.

Thread Information