Page 93 of 123 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    We can always yell at you on the forum if that would make you feel more at home.
    Just kidding.
    Haha! I had to do a few "HELP!" messages to boss as there was stuff I just could NOT figure out. The system used for transmitting to Customs is SO finicky at times! I was on the old system for most of my 13.5 years at old company. I'll just need to get used to this one and how to finesse it!

Yppej
    I am very jealous and wish I could work from home. I am around a few real idiots. Two examples from today:

1. Coworker has some juicy gossip so she goes to man in his sixties out earlier this year for a heart attack, leans just a couple inches from his ear and starts whispering to him. Neither of them are wearing masks.

2. Customer comes in with mask on, but as he comes to my cubicle takes it off and starts loudly talking to the office manager two cubicles behind me while I run his credit card. She says and does nothing. I guess the mask is to protect the building hallways and not people.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am very jealous and wish I could work from home. I am around a few real idiots. Two examples from today:

1. Coworker has some juicy gossip so she goes to man in his sixties out earlier this year for a heart attack, leans just a couple inches from his ear and starts whispering to him. Neither of them are wearing masks.

2. Customer comes in with mask on, but as he comes to my cubicle takes it off and starts loudly talking to the office manager two cubicles behind me while I run his credit card. She says and does nothing. I guess the mask is to protect the building hallways and not people.
    And, you say nothing????

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    And, you say nothing????
    I suspect Yppej's supervisor/manager might be very much like the ones I had at the old company. Saying something does nothing. If you want to keep your job, you keep your mouth shut and your head down. Especially these days.

Comcast guy came mid-afternoon. AT&T speed was 22 something. Comcast was 117 over wifi. Work computer is connected via ethernet cable to modem. That will work better for the large file transfers/syncing. Boss is paying half of the Comcast cost.

Getting more comfortable with the system. It's going to take a bit. I was on one software package for most of the 13.5 years at the old company.

Didn't help that Customs' system was having issues at the end of the day and we weren't getting results on transmitted entries.

So much better than my old job.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I suspect Yppej's supervisor/manager might be very much like the ones I had at the old company. Saying something does nothing. If you want to keep your job, you see your mouth shut and your head down. Especially these days.
    Exactly. The front line worker who asked customers to stay out of areas restricted at the pandemic peak was furloughed "because he argues with customers".

I think on your old job the mismanagement or micromanagement kept you from doing all you could with your knowledge and experience. Bet you find it enjoyable to be really productive. Sounds like you found the perfect situation for you

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I think on your old job the mismanagement or micromanagement kept you from doing all you could with your knowledge and experience. Bet you find it enjoyable to be really productive. Sounds like you found the perfect situation for you
    Well, it was much better being productive over being off for a bit more than four months! But it will take a bit of time to get really productive due to the different system.

And the old boss kept beating on me, telling me I knew squat. It's been justice of sorts when I've been told by people still at the company (different offices) that she is useless!

Sounds like this new job is working out great, Tradd. Congrats!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I seem to have a knack for finding oddball stuff going wrong with the system!

Boss worked on his own for 18 years. Definitely a different way of doing stuff. Everything is run off excel except for the system that is used to transmit to Customs. There is some interplay between the two. The Excel system is all homegrown and there are sometimes syncing issues. I was used to also dealing directly with customers rather than the forwarders I’m now dealing with. We mostly clear for their customers, but we deal with the forwarders.

I was used to massively detailed profiles for each customer at the old company. I requested boss do that. He agreed it was past time it was done. I took good notes during training but there are so many moving parts that I need stuff I can refer back to. He puts everything in Microsoft One Note, but I will print out the customer profiles. Much easier to refer to.

I kept having issues of all sorts today and we were constantly chatting on Teams about stuff. I hate that this is so difficult but I have to remember I had been doing the system at the old job for so long and the customers for so long that I knew stuff off the top of my head. I’ve only been doing this for a week! I’m trying to not get myself frustrated.

Having faster Comcast internet today did make a huge difference.

Thread Information