Page 22 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    In my department, I had the most seniority by 3.5 years. Manager had been there 9 years and supervisor 10. One guy brought over from one of the company’s South African offices last year has been with company for 8 years. Princess had been there about 2.5 years. Manager and supervisor got paid more. Not sure about South Africa guy but he worked on different projects so wasn’t really involved with our stuff.

So yes, they saved money by getting rid of me. They also lost a ton of knowledge. Their loss. I’m glad I’m gone.
    Are you over age 40? Could let have let you go to pay someone else more? If so, age discrimination?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I was thinking how nice it would be if there were lots more teleworking--nice for the environment, nice for traveling on the roads--imagine no commuting! You would save tons of time, and have more for your loved ones. The advantages seem almost endless to me. I'm sure we'll get there some day; I'd like to think this would speed things up.

I loved working from home. Had some office mates who could not do it... not disciplined enough... and chose to come into the office even though not required to do so. I was afraid they would ruin it for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Are you over age 40? Could let have let you go to pay someone else more? If so, age discrimination?

But really this isn’t worth it. I’m glad to be rid of them. They were awful.

Exploratory call with a recruiter this afternoon about a corporate global trade compliance position.

Nice!

Great tradd!

I've always done the actual customs clearances. This would be regulatory stuff at an importer/exporter. Before I only got into the regulatory weeds if someone asked about it, as I was much more operational.

Resume question:

I'l ask my friend helping me with it later, but I'm working on it now, so I'll ask it here, too:

How far back do you go back with positions? I'm 51. I've been in this industry since 1992. I was at the job I was laid off from for 13.5 years. That job is the most relevant one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    How far back do you go back with positions?
    How many of your previous positions gave you the skills/responsibilities/experiences in the job you're going for? I'd list your most recent job and mention others if they were germane to the position you're applying for. You don't have to account for every single month of your work career in a resume. Save that for the application.

This is a sideways way of saying that you should have more than one resume. Your experiences won't be relevant to every job you go for, so what you put in the resume should be tailored to the kind of position you're seeking. Now that resumes are all electronic, it's not hard to make one version a template and then change the wording to emphasize (or even drop) certain aspects of previous jobs (including your most recent one).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Really, it's the most recent one. Most people don't seem to stay with employers as long as I did, so more positions would be listed.

Thread Information