Page 50 of 123 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

I use nitrile gloves that I regularly swab with sanitizer, and when I get home I wash them thoroughly, then take them off and wash my hands thoroughly. Probably overkill, but that's how I've come to roll.

If only we had any experienced nurses, paramedics, EMTs, HAZMAT technicians, or infectious disease management folks on the board to help us understand proper PPE use....

Expert advice is useful. Very little is being communicated well to the general public at this point. CDC has said to use gloves only for cleaning and for medical professionals in their jobs .... and yet medical professionals on this board are using them when getting gas. Who to believe.

It's a bit harsh to go after anyone for resources wasted at this point, since every store has banned reusable bags almost, you can't recycle to save your life (and barely could before this). Everyone is wasting resources right and left compared to some ideal environmental perspective (woops there goes another plastic bag into the landfill!!!), just to get through the pandemic.

And if the CDC tells one more person to use hand sanitizer rather than gloves people are going to lose their minds and noone can take them seriously anymore, as hand sanitizer hasn't been available to the general public in stores for MONTHS or more at this point, so the fact that authorities kept suggesting it in "let them eat cake" fashion is something else. Although I'm starting finally to see some sanitizer after months ...
    Trees don't grow on money

My next door neighbor works for a company that makes—wait for it—hand sanitizer! She does their graphics work. She’s been super busy.

No I haven’t broken into her house to steal a supply

You can go bare-handed and wash/disinfect frequently. I prefer gloves to chapped hands, but I rarely need to wear gloves anyway.

My husband is a environmental engineer and has worked in full hazmat at clean up sites. He showed me how to take off gloves properly.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    By all means keep coughing in people’s faces then.
    This is a ridiculous comment. I cough into a tissue or inside my jacket or sweater lapel. Long before people starting wearing masks people did not go around coughing in other people's faces. Or are you some sort if weirdo who can only control your obsession to not cough in other people's faces if you have a mask on?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    This is a ridiculous comment. I cough into a tissue or inside my jacket or sweater lapel. Long before people starting wearing masks people did not go around coughing in other people's faces. Or are you some sort if weirdo who can only control your obsession to not cough in other people's faces if you have a mask on?
    Pre-covid I coughed in my elbow. Now I wear a mask because it is useful in limiting the likelihood that I would spread illness, covid or otherwise and would still cough in my elbow since it has long been my habit. If you are in the habit of covering your coughs then you must understand that cloth masks help even if you don't want to admit it.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Pre-covid I coughed in my elbow. Now I wear a mask because it is useful in limiting the likelihood that I would spread illness, covid or otherwise and would still cough in my elbow since it has long been my habit. If you are in the habit of covering your coughs then you must understand that cloth masks help even if you don't want to admit it.
    I do not cough into my elbow because when you wear short sleeves I think it is gross.

Covering coughs prevents the spread of large germs. Covid particles are small.

I hope we never get so paranoid in this country about other people that masks become the new cover your mouth when you cough. I believe in the hygiene hypothesis, and that exposure to germs builds immunity. That is why in kindergarten the kids who went to daycare are much healthier than those who did not. The kids who stayed home are sick frequently that first year because they have no immunity. This also happened to me as a child when my family moved from Canada to the American South. At first I got sick all the time because I was around germs that couldn't survive in a cold climate for the first time. Then I got acclimated and didn't get sick.

Since this thread is about work I just want to say how super incredibly happy I am that I no longer have to manage a group of 25 people in this situation. My head hurts I don’t even know what they’re doing. I stay away from it because I don’t wanna know. Thinking about it, I like being old and useless.

If I had retired at the “right time “I E full retirement age for Social Security, I would be telling my boss last week hey there, I’m skipping out on this deal and that will give you two things:

1) saving a big salary because there’s gonna be tough fiscal times ahead
    2) Getting rid of an old fart who just doesn’t want to traverse any of this challenging time
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-20-20 at 11:05pm.

Thread Information