Page 3 of 123 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Serious question - how many people can truly handle telecommuting successfully, ie, need the sense of others sharing the space and a visible supervisor?
    Having done both I agree this is a real issue. When I was younger and single the thought of working from home 5 days a week would've been dreadful. I had a lot of other young coworkers that I considered friends. We hung out outside of work as well. Now that I'm neither young nor single it's great working from home although I do occasionally miss the excitement of going downtown and being surrounded by busy people.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Serious question - how many people can truly handle telecommuting successfully, ie, need the sense of others sharing the space and a visible supervisor?
    In my brief editing career, I handled limited telecommuting with enthusiasm. I'm trustworthy, the work was entirely do-able from home, I don't need to be baby-sat, there was no commute, and if I needed to connect with others, there was email. I think a lot of us, perhaps especially the introverts among us, would thrive as telecommuters.

I LOVED not going into this office and dealing with all the politics. I was rarely interrupted, so I got more done in less time. However, it is not for everyone. A coworker was easily distracted or disciplined. He needed the strict structure of the office.

It appears that domestic travel bans aren’t going to be needed. People are doing it themselves. SO works for one of the big hotel brands. A month ago their flagship hotel here was fully booked for next week. As of yesterday their bookings for next week were at 30% with more cancellations happening every day. I assume this is happening all over the country. An awful lot of hotel workers aren’t going to be earning much money until the situation improves.

Not near as much as others who've posted. I work in a community bank, so the wild stock market this week is what is affecting us the most. The lending EVP announced rate loan rate changes due to the Federal Reserve cutting rates Tuesday. We've also reviewed our pandemic response plan (lots of hand sanitizer out in the branches).
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Just saw pictures posted on social media of Port of Los Angeles- Empty. Just a few containers in an “empty” stack. One truck dropped off 1, no other trucks, no ships, no containers stacked to be delivered. Since the west coast is being (relatively) hardest hit, I’m imagining ports of Seattle and Oakland either already do, or will soon, look the same.

And I think my brother and SIL are on that Carnival cruise ship from Hawaii, being held off the coast of San Francisco while they test passengers for the corona virus....

Yikes!

i hope your family is ok.

i just got notice from my job to prepare to teach remotely.

so, I teach pottery. I actually asked my oldest class what they would want that to look like. They said “well, if you get some warning, we could all take home clay.” I mean, seriously, should I gave them carrying their clay back and forth?

A friend knows someone on that cruise boat off the CA coast. He says they did not send enough kits to test everyone and they are getting little information

Wow this sounds like a catastrophe movie more and more. I live in Europe close to a quarantined entire state (Italy. I live in Germany) for the moment nothing like that in Germany although in this region only they're have been 160 cases. We still go to the office. Only suspect people are asked to work from home...or people who sneeze a couple times too much. Schools are still open for the moment. In Italy- an entire state has now schools closed.

Many countries are using "don't test, don't tell".

Thread Information