Page 11 of 123 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    My tutoring gig has ended, now that we have “Shelter in Place” orders. Disappointing, though I totally agree with the action. I really enjoyed working with my homeschooled student. Plus I will miss the extra money.
    Maybe you can continue via Skype?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Although I work at a circulation desk in a library, I'm working from home as of two days ago. I'm helping our digital services librarian check the validity of some databases. It's downright weird because she said she doesn't expect me to spend 8 hours a day doing this. Also weird because I have a lot of downtime at work, so I really feel like I'm floundering around right now. Because the world situation is so stressful right now, I am having a LOT of trouble concentrating on work. I wonder if I'm alone.

Hubster works at a state agency. All staff were sent home to work online this morning. Only a few critical employees are allowed into the office. Right now, he is one of those.

I think my office would only close down if the local/state authorities forced us to close. Small office with few visitors.

Yppej
    Some employees are wearing gloves now. One who had cancer last year won't let anyone in his office. You have to stand in the doorway and talk to him from there. A second employee thought possibly exposed outside of work was back on the job after being tested. Some people are using vacation time to watch their kids who are out of school.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    One who had cancer last year won't let anyone in his office. You have to stand in the doorway and talk to him from there.
    EXCELLENT self-care

People wearing gloves scares me. Unless well trained in use of gloves, people are careless. They are protected and everyone else? Screwed. I have watched it too many times.

The other day I was chatting with a guy at the resort on Maui and as he was leaving he said ‘nice chatting with you. I’m derick.’ And instinctively he held out his hand. I was sitting on a beach chair by the pool and pulled my hands back while introducing myself. It was slightly awkward but he got it and wasn’t offended, just slightly embarrassed.

And earlier this evening we were at the front desk of the hotel putting in our breakfast orders. The restaurant is closed but they are making to go food for everyone. We had our order form and the front desk clerk offered a pen. I said ‘no, I do t want to potentially infect your pen’ and he offered a sanitizing wipe. I told him he could save it for the next person and he was fine with filling out the form for us. SO probably thinks I’m being neurotic but I’d rather be safe than sorry. And I’d rather have my behavior teach others to think about everything and be cautious. Watching my SO and MIL touch EVERYTHING this week has made me realize how unnatural it is to not make contact with every surface around us.

I don’t blame SO and MIL for touching everything. They are both the type of person for whom handrails were invented. But that doesn’t help calm me knowing that germs reside on everything people touch. There just aren’t enough sanitizing wipes in the world.

Well they moved us to slightly staggered shifts, which might only increase social distancing to a degree since our shifts will overlap some, so i think I will still end up seeing most people. I got assigned to work pretty standard hours so it's not a drastic change for me, and we're still working full time. At one point they were going to cram 3 of us in a smallish office but decided 2 was enough for now (like a bosses office size, that's what I mean by office here).
    Trees don't grow on money

I work at a large church. Of course we have completely shut down. All the 12-step groups we rent space to are having to use Skype or Zoom to meet. My boss/pastor is worrisome. I'm watching him age. He's taking the whole congregation's spiritual life on his shoulders, coming up with a makeshift video service (our tech isn't strong enough to do live streaming), daily encouragements via email, all the visitations because the visiting pastor is in his 70s, THEN we had a death yesterday. We've already postponed one memorial. I am communication central here, and there's a lot. At least I am only one of 4 people here and it's a 60,000 sq. ft. bldg. So....I can go all day and hardly see anyone. But the phones! The emails! Aaaggghhhh!!

My p/t job, Weight Watchers, is doing a quick and miraculous switch to online only meetings. I have to totally hand it to corporate. I don't think any of them have slept for 5 days. It's very complicated; I've taken 2 trainings and participated in 3 Zoom calls in the last 2 days. We will be going live tonight with our first Zoom "workshop" (formerly called "meetings.")
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information