Page 2 of 123 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Yes, it's affecting my work---my germaphobe boss is in high freakout mode.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Yes, it's affecting my work---my germaphobe boss is in high freakout mode.
    That must provide some entertainment!

Yppej
    We are getting hand sanitizers installed. I asked the boss if I get infected at work and have to be quarantined is that worker's comp and a suck-up butted into the conversation and said, "No you can't prove you got it at work. It could have been at the grocery store. You would have to use up all your sick and vacation time." He never did answer my question.

I asked if people could work from home on another forum I frequent. A number of people responded that the job they do could be done from home, but their employer refuses to consider it, even if people were ordered to quarantine.

Both my current and previous employer have most people being able to work from home as a major component of their business continuity plans. Towards that end they are testing the viability of our systems to handle this by having everyone work from home tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see how that goes.

My previous employer got to test this out when superstorm Sandy hit and the several thousand people who worked in the corporate headquarters offices in lower Manhattan could not go to the office for several weeks. Mostly it worked fine. A couple of lessons learned from that were that we needed more redundancy of computer systems, and to not put the backup generator in the basement of the building.

Telecommuting is too long in coming; there are many, many jobs that could be done remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Telecommuting is too long in coming; there are many, many jobs that could be done remotely.
    Serious question - how many people can truly handle telecommuting successfully, ie, need the sense of others sharing the space and a visible supervisor?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Serious question - how many people can truly handle telecommuting successfully, ie, need the sense of others sharing the space and a visible supervisor?
    I think it’s more a question of the employers wanting to keep a close eye on the worker bees.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    We're having the daily Emergency Ops review/coordination meeting today almost entirely via Skype Business, which:

a) limits exposure opportunities for the team here working on the problem
    b) saves a huge amount of travel time for people, since half of them have to take boats or planes to get to the EOC otherwise
    c) let's me have my own, better, coffee :-)

Thread Information