Page 30 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Given the circumstances one would think that they wouldn't be asking too many people to submit job search efforts. But you never know. A friend's son in NY filed for unemployment and after filling out the online form he still had to do a "phone verification". It literally took him days of nonstop trying to get through.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Given the circumstances one would think that they wouldn't be asking too many people to submit job search efforts. But you never know. A friend's son in NY filed for unemployment and after filling out the online form he still had to do a "phone verification". It literally took him days of nonstop trying to get through.
    You would think, but the gov't bureaucrats with their safe paychecks don't seem to give a flying fig. The Canadian gov't had some special relief program going on. People had to do something online, but they got their money within 3-5 days. Other US states send out the initial unemployment "mailing" via email.

My letter showed a "mailed date" of 3/31 inside the letter itself. Springfield, IL to the Chicago area is about 3 hours. There is no way it took 10 days to get to me. It likely sat somewhere for a while before being sent out.

I'm getting $484 a week. The $600/week from the feds is on top of that. I'm having 10% federal taxes and 4.9% IL state taxes deducted. So, $922 a week x 2 weeks = $1844. Pretty close to my net pay at the old job.

That extra $600 only goes through the end of July in IL.

I was texting with a nurse friend today. She told me she has several friends who will be making more on unemployment than they did at their old job. So they're planning on sitting on their butts for all summer, she said. I sent her the link to the notice from the IL unemployment website showing it only goes through the end of July. Might be a rude awakening for them.

Requesting opinions....

Friend sent me the link to the CNN story where they are looking for COBOL programmers in my state. Apparently the unemployment system is still using this decades-old programming and the system is currently over-whelmed. I was trained in COBOL programming back in the late 1980's and was a corporate programmer for over ten years. Again - initial training was about 35 years ago; last actual coding in COBOL occurred about 28-30 years ago. I'm wondering if it is worth applying? Since I have been recently working in various aspect of "date" (don't ask - lol) and I believe I can do data analysis and possibly system testing. Is this worth pursuing?

Will add that I have done a preliminary investigation into the news story, but am not to the extent of finding out where to apply, etc. Wondering if it's been too long and I may be... dare I say... too old - to resume an old/previous skill.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    You would think, but the gov't bureaucrats with their safe paychecks don't seem to give a flying fig. The Canadian gov't had some special relief program going on. People had to do something online, but they got their money within 3-5 days. Other US states send out the initial unemployment "mailing" via email.

My letter showed a "mailed date" of 3/31 inside the letter itself. Springfield, IL to the Chicago area is about 3 hours. There is no way it took 10 days to get to me. It likely sat somewhere for a while before being sent out.

I'm getting $484 a week. The $600/week from the feds is on top of that. I'm having 10% federal taxes and 4.9% IL state taxes deducted. So, $922 a week x 2 weeks = $1844. Pretty close to my net pay at the old job.

That extra $600 only goes through the end of July in IL.

I was texting with a nurse friend today. She told me she has several friends who will be making more on unemployment than they did at their old job. So they're planning on sitting on their butts for all summer, she said. I sent her the link to the notice from the IL unemployment website showing it only goes through the end of July. Might be a rude awakening for them.
    I'm definitely making less on unemployment - without the extra $600 - which I will believe when I receive it. LOL. I think we can still manage our budget on my unemployment and, since both dh and I both had health issues that make us at risk should we catch the virus... I'm not sure I want a lot of the jobs that are available out there right now. (exception is the possible coding job mentioned in previous post).
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Happystuff, why not do some digging and see about it?

happystuff, I say try it. They likely will need more people involved than just heads-down coders. They'll need people to document the changes, package the new code for distribution and installation, test the code (I hope, I hope), perhaps write user documentation/training aids if use of the application changes visibl, perhaps people to manage the projects, .... You don't know unless you try and it costs you nothing to give it a shot.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Definitely going to look into it further. As has been pointed out... it can't hurt. Thanks.

I've been doing some health insurance research online. I was recommended to https://www.getinsured.com

You can filter by your doctor. My doctor is on several of the plans. I can get a silver HMO plan for $560 month. No deductible for in network. That's vs $684 for COBRA.

I had forgotten a friend and her husband are self-employed. I got the name of the independent insurance agent they get their health insurance through and just sent the agent an email.

Yppej
    An employee at my job has been ordered to stay home for a week although she tested negative for Covid 19. She has a reputation as a hypochondriac and apparently her mentioning her concern about possibly having corona was enough to get her locked down without any evidence. She has not been exposed to anyone with the virus and no one else at work is being tested nor is our site getting special disinfection services.

Thread Information