Page 99 of 123 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone’s work being affected by coronavirus?

Things have a way of working out, and it seems in your case, that's the case!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Mask compliance is way up among both customers and employees now that the weather is no longer beastly hot and humid.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Mask compliance is way up among both customers and employees now that the weather is no longer beastly hot and humid.
    The best part of wearing a mask is the eventual, wonderfully intense airgasm when it's finally removed.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The best part of wearing a mask is the eventual, wonderfully intense airgasm when it's finally removed.
    This gave me a chuckle. Cute phrase!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yes, a lot of my massage therapy clients are over 60 with underlying issues...they have decided to wait until there is a vaccine or cases get substantially lower. I have started an indian food dinner 2 times a month for now and doing some odd jobs here and there.

Friday was interesting. Boss had implemented something new which resulted in something slipping through the cracks as he hadn’t told his DIL (she tracks the shipments online) what to do if we didn’t get certain documents from the importer. He automated the email for missing docs. Just check a box. Before boss’ DIL had to turn a file back over to him if we were missing the docs and he requested them from customer. He should have told her to turn the file over to boss or me if she saw we didn’t have the docs. She’s a good worker, but works from home a few hours a day while her young son is napping and has no other industry experience.

So we had something get to Chicago Friday that wasn’t customs cleared and the trucker wasn’t also told it was coming in. With the holiday weekend, that means $600 in rail storage. Trucker can’t handle it until the 10th. He was really peeved but I took care of the issue, talked to his DIL (I’m really her supervisor), and just kept my mouth shut - aside from requested I be copied in on the automated doc request emails. He said a big thank you to me at the end of the day and I think he realized he had not fully implemented the new procedure which resulted in us having to eat the additional charges. I have lots of practice from my former idiot boss with just keeping my mouth shut. LOL. He wasn’t a huge asshole about it though, like old boss would have done.

Of course, this kind of stuff ALWAYS happens over a long weekend.

Funny - contact in Detroit office of old company told me that the girl they had hired to do imports (no customs stuff) perhaps no more than two months ago quit on the spot earlier this week. It was due to the way the toxic manager treated her.

Warms the cockles of my heart, it does!

Remember me mentioning the old company still had me as their local permit qualifier? Couldn't get any response from the person at the local Customs office to handle it. New boss had to ask the Customs IT people to do it (he had issues adding me as a new employee under his company and had to go to the help desk).

It's been long enough. I have several job applications out there, but am still not hearing anything. As much as I didn't want to return to internet sales warehouse work, I know there are openings at a location about 35 minutes away - my dd works 2nd shift. According to their web page, they have both 1st shift (6 am. - 2:30pm) and 2nd shift (3:30pm - 12pm Midnight) available.

I am a morning person.

So, assuming with my 16 years experience I do get hired, the decision is which shift to take. If I take 2nd shift, I will definitely have to adjust to totally different sleeping/waking hours. I will be able to commute with my dd and it will be less wear and tear on the cars. (We can trade off each day.) I will be able to schedule my "old age" dr appointments without taking off work. DD, who is definitely a night person, can do the driving so I don't have to worry about that.

If I take 1st shift - I am a morning person-, it's easier to get up an hour earlier than I normally do and still be home early afternoon, versus learning to stay up 2-3 hours later than I normally do. I will still have more "normal" day and evening hours. We will, however, have two cars going to the same location at two different times of the day. If I need to take off for anything, more than likely it will be unpaid.

I plan to submit the application early this coming week because, as I've said, it's been long enough and I'm tired of waiting to hear from the applications that are just sitting out there.

I'm leaning one way, but... Any and all opinions, ideas, suggestions, etc are welcome.

ETA: 1st shift also means missing live M-F morning prayers online, while 2nd shift means missing 1-hour live skype classes two nights a week. I should be able to get a transcript of the night classes, though, so it will be on me to keep up and participate via email if necessary.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

As someone who is more of a nightowl, I would take the later shift, as there is no way I would be able to wake up that early and be functioning by 6 am.

Thread Information