Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grateful to the voters of Iowa.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Grateful to the voters of Iowa.....

I am utterly amazed that Pete Buttigieg narrowly won the caucus in Iowa! Just amazed. I never thought that I would live to see an openly gay man run for President of the United States and not only be taken seriously but win Iowa. Even if he doesn't nab the nomination, to me this is nonetheless utterly historic.

Which leads me to actually give this country the highest compliment I could ever give to the United States - coming from me this is the best of the best. So what's the compliment after the build up?

I honestly could not see similar happening in Austria, I really can't. Buttigieg's winning in Iowa is the third time in my life I have been proud to hold US citizenship. The first was the night Barack Obama was elected in 2008, the second was when Mohammed Noor, former Minneapolis PD officer, was convicted last year.

Personally, I don't believe Buttigieg will nab the nomination but I'd love to be proven wrong. Regardless, I am utterly floored with this level of social progress. Rob

Rob, I agree that Pete has done a great job and exceeded everyone's expectations for his Iowa performance. The fact that he is openly gay is a great omen for the future.

But I just have to say that he's actually in almost a dead heat with Bernie, and the count is 97% in with only THREE VOTES separating them. Bernie is 1/10th of 1% behind. So I'm also grateful to the voters of Iowa for recognizing and supporting my preferred candidate.

May the best man win.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

How do we know who won?

Yppej
    Supposedly Bernie won in special precincts for those who could not attend the caucuses and this will put him in first place.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Supposedly Bernie won in special precincts for those who could not attend the caucuses and this will put him in first place.
    Ah I had not heard this. I'd rather that Buttigieg won, personally, but I'll take Bernie over Trump any day. I'm still grateful to the voters of Iowa for taking Buttigieg seriously. Maybe - who knows - he can score the VP slot? Who knows?

And to answer questions above, I read on yahoo news that 97% of the vote had been counted in Iowa with Buttigieg having a very very very narrow win. I guess this narrow win has since been upended. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Maybe - who knows - he can score the VP slot? Who knows?
    Why should he have to settle for VP?

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    And to answer questions above, I read on yahoo news that 97% of the vote had been counted in Iowa ...
    If you consult your fully-charged smart phone, you may notice there have been some serious difficulties and irregularities with counting the caucus "votes", which of course, aren't really votes....

At this point, it is hard to say whether the Iowa Democratic Party is capable of producing a correct and trustworthy result. Certainly the national DNC chair has asked for a "do-over", because it has been such a disaster...

Who cares the sexual preference of candidates? It should not matter IMO. Also, why do people consider Sanders a Democrat? In the impeachment hearings he was listed as an independent,

Associated Press has called it too close to call. 3% are unreleased, Sanders claims they likely voted for him as they were satellite caucuses, but of course noone really knows. As for various mistakes that have happened: Sanders voters were mistakenly allocated to Deval Patrick and Warren voters to Tom Steyer, Yang supporters possibly also got a bad deal. This is supposedly corrected. The DNC wants a recount, the Iowa Dem party doesn't, and the problem is many Sanders voters with some basis DON'T TRUST the DNC because of all that happened in 2016. Sanders himself is not stepping directly into this mess, he's declared victory of a sort and moved on. So yes both Buttigieg and Sanders have declared victory of a sort.

Proud of my country, uh .... I wish I lived in a country that was capable of running a legitimate fair open election. Yea need to move to Denmark or something I guess ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Also, why do people consider Sanders a Democrat? In the impeachment hearings he was listed as an independent,
    But then Bloomberg is a Republican, and not in the way Warren is either as in "used to support the Republican party when noone much had heard of her". He's literally run for office as a Republican and endorsed George W Bush when he was a big player.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information