Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Name one positive thing.....

Ms, that’s awesome!

Now that I’m not working anymore, I sort of miss the occasional jolt of hatred and contempt in committee meetings, which surprises me. Arguing with the wife and kid is not the same, and my dog is a total yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Now that I’m not working anymore, I sort of miss the occasional jolt of hatred and contempt in committee meetings, which surprises me. Arguing with the wife and kid is not the same, and my dog is a total yes man.
    You need to find an internet snark site. Plenty of fun antipathy on those sites.

A friend told me that...

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You need to find an internet snark site. Plenty of fun antipathy on those sites.

A friend told me that...
    I could. But after years of working with professionals amateurs playing for trivial stakes would seem like a step down.

My current job gives me the feeling of a large family. I work at an assisted living facility, and the residents are like my elderly aunts and uncles. My own family is quite small on one side (we don't really see anyone on my dad's side). I'm with the residents during holidays and their birthdays, and also see them decline in health. We get quite attached to them and are sad when they pass.

Pony Mom, that sounds so nice.
    My parents are in assisted living in another state, a 3 day drive, so it makes my heart happy to hear folks who work there who appreciate being around older folks.

I work in big companies in an industry that requires rational and logical thinking (engineering, managing projects and people. Ok, for the last one, soft skills are also needed). For me, my work has (1) intensified my already strong tendency to think rationally and in a structured way. That is useful in everyday life too; (2) taught me the value of politics. I am always been a too direct AND idealistic kind of person and I can tell you, one needs to un-learn just a bit of it in favour of "politics" (in the good sense of forming coalitions) if one is to survive in a corporation; (3) I have been forced to hone my skills in matter of productivity (by nature I tended more to be a bit dispersive) and this again, is useful in my every day life too since I have a household, a husband, and a daughter to take care of on top of my 9 to 5 job - now also setting up a private business. My the way: I thank you very much for posting this question simplelife (I shorten your name , as it kind of forced me and others to find the good things that working has given us. That s always good, as the human brain is notoriously prone to focus only on the problems in a situation, less on the positive aspects. Although this characteristics has helped our ancestors survive in the wild, it is much less useful nowadays but we still come to life with this software pre-installed :-)

Respect from my colleagues; adult conversation (don't get much at home), structure (like Rob says), feeling of accomplishment, get to go to one or two conferences a year in a nice location.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information