Thread: Plantains - do you eat them?

Plantains - do you eat them?

I was out doing errands and stopped to pick up some bananas. I also saw some plantain at a discounted price so decided to explore preparing and eating them for a fun project.
    I found some good sites for ideas and information. Seems that they are used similar manner to potatoes around the world but with much more interesting spices.
    Do you eat plantain and what recipes do you find most enjoyable? I have 8 of them to use so want to try different recipes. It seems that one does not freeze the dishes made with plantain so as I have to make small portions.

https://www.africanbites.com/9-delic...ntain-recipes/

https://www.healthline.com/health/fo...fits#versatile
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We have a new very popular Puerto Rican restaurant in our neighborhood that serves plantains, mostly fried
    i thinK, served several different ways. People really like,it.

Well, as I was baking my loaf of bread and cooking some chicken legs, I tried to bake the plantain as suggested in the one link above; peel, cut in half, spray with a light oil and bake, flipping once. They turned out slightly sweet but tasty with a nice crunch. I drizzled a little quality balsamic vinegars on one - black cherry, mission fig and chocolate - and that was good.

Will try to bake some plantain chips when I have the oven on again and see how they store.

Some of the new restaurants do offer a new taste. Puerto Rican would be good and spicy. I tried a new Bar Burrito restaurant for lunch today and it was really good but too much. I would choose the bowl burrito next time.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    You can buy them prepared various ways in the Goya frozen food section. So yes they can be frozen.

I buy the chips sometimes. I used to get them as a side dish in a Cuban restaurant a long time ago, but it has been several years since it closed and I don't recall how they were prepared, just that I always liked them.

My next door neighbor is a wonderful cook and cooks Cuban for Christmas as that is what she grew up with and I had them there for first time. I did not like them and felt guilty--maybe it's an acquired taste.

I fried some of the thin slices after sprinkling some olive oil on a bowl of them. the fried ones were good. I dried some in the over and they turned into little flat stones, totally inedible.
    Ah well, live and learn. I was always curious about them so now I am wiser for the effort.

Thread Information