Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: medical tests - when to question??

medical tests - when to question??

I have had some minor oddball health things pop up since moving to Colorado for which I have seen various practitioners within the system my insurance covers. Every single time, a CT scan has been recommended and always with radioactive contrast. I have had three now since moving here and all have shown nothing. I recently went in for a hard bump that appeared on my arm and yep once again a CT scan with contrast is being recommended. My gut says "watch and wait" but health anxiety seems to be my new best friend AND I am wondering why so many CT scans since moving here. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I have had some minor oddball health things pop up since moving to Colorado for which I have seen various practitioners within the system my insurance covers. Every single time, a CT scan has been recommended and always with radioactive contrast. I have had three now since moving here and all have shown nothing. I recently went in for a hard bump that appeared on my arm and yep once again a CT scan with contrast is being recommended. My gut says "watch and wait" but health anxiety seems to be my new best friend AND I am wondering why so many CT scans since moving here. What would you do?
    That seems to odd, about the radioactive contrast. Is this all the same part of your body? I would not want another, personally. Can you go back to your old doc in Austin for a second opinion--go visit your daughter?

pinkytoe, you're in charge. Just because they say you need it, you can say no or request another opinion. And you are allowed to ask questions.

If previous CT scans covered the same part of your body and they're within the last year or so, I would ask the provider to request and review your previous scans first rather than just write for another battery of tests. If not, it's fair to ask if there are other imaging tools that could be used to determine the problem or why you've been given so many scans. I suspect the reason is that ordering a new scan helps defend the doctor in malpractice suits. But CT scans with contrast are not cheap and undoubtedly some folks react to the dye. There must be options. You should be able to weigh your choices.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    I would suspect medical facilities in your area have invested heavily in CT scan machinery and are looking to recoup their costs. Can you research the number of CT machines per capita in your old and new locations?

If they build it - or buy it - you will come due to their referrals.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I have many questions:
    1. What was the complaint for each CT?
    2. Where on your arm is this hard bump?
    3. Since the bump is hard did they do a plain xray ( we call it a flat plate)?
    4. How long have you been in CO?
    5. Any permanent health changes you've noticed since you arrived there?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I would suspect medical facilities in your area have invested heavily in CT scan machinery and are looking to recoup their costs. Can you research the number of CT machines per capita in your old and new locations?.
    This is old technology so I doubt it's a recent acquisition. Even MRI is now old.

The first three CT scans were to diagnose a pain in my side that came on after a day of shoveling dirt. Thought it was perhaps kidney or female at first...Three years later pain it still here and latest doc said try physical therapy which I will do.
    The upper arm bump is something new but is about 6" away from where the IVs were done for the side stuff so I wonder about that...they did a sonogram for it but it was inconclusive thus the recommendation for a CT scan.
    I have been in CO for three years and none of this came on until I moved here.
    Otherwise, I feel lovely and would love to get this krap figured out...

It is quite possible you pulled a ligament between ribs when doing all the shoveling. That can seem like kidney problems d/t location of the kidneys. I would do the PT if it was my injury/pain. If it's a ligament, this could come/go the rest of your life. I have several friends who've had this and live with it.

Your arm bump sounds like it could be phlebitis. I had one after an IV for surgery in 2009. Warm compresses and elevate when you can. Take an anti-inflammatory for 6w. See if those work to reduce the size and decrease the pain. I realize it's been 6m already but it can't hurt. The only other recommended treatment is to have it surgically removed. Mine did resolve but I recall it taking much longer than I thought it should.

I read on line about a woman who experienced ocular migraines, consulted a doctor and subsequently had an MRI and a "battery of tests." I've had occasional ocular migraines for years since menopause. Nothing I've read suggests they are life-threatening. IMO, our medical "care" system is way out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I read on line about a woman who experienced ocular migraines, consulted a doctor and subsequently had an MRI and a "battery of tests." I've had occasional ocular migraines for years since menopause. Nothing I've read suggests they are life-threatening. IMO, our medical "care" system is way out of control.
    I can't lay it on the "care" system. Lawsuits, malpractice, patient demands for this test/that test/this med/that med, make it scary to practice medicine. Docs, for many years, fear not doing every test when a patient arrives with a complaint. Much testing is "rule out" major problems. Patients demand answers. Patients demand cures.

Tort reform is way overdue. I will never forget a lawsuit in the Northwest. A baby was born with a congenital illness. The parents sued for malpractice at childbirth. Now the jury of peers? This was not a medically informed jury. The jury favored the parents with this child in a stroller in the courtroom. They were awarded 4 million. This was in the 90s. Why??????

A congenital disorder is a medical condition that is present at or before birth. These conditions, also referred to as birth defects, can be acquired during the fetal stage of development or from the genetic make up of the parents.

I will never forget one of my favorite general surgeons saying: I am 95% accurate after an interview and exam of a patient needing their gallbladder removed (cholecystitis). But the litigious society has turned us from doctors into test ordering people to prove we are right. It's awful. This conversation was back in the 90s. The tests were approaching $1000 back then. Likely $5000 now.

So, going to a doctor in itself says "I need an answer". If we go, they will work us up and yes, much of the testing will be "rule out" unless we have something obvious.

I've said it before here, You cannot imagine what I've seen. Yes, this is a hotbutton/soapbox for me.

Thread Information