Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mattress Buying

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    So, as often happens when I have too many choices, I find myself overwhelmed and will probably take a break and revisit this in the future. This tendency to overwhelm easily with too many choices has saved me quite a bit of money over time!
    Had to chuckle when I read this. Too many choices and I too simply walk away to think hard about if I really want and need the item being considered. It does prevent a lot of spending for me as well.

Was it Malcolm Gladwell who wrote that more choices resulted in fewer purchases? No but I found this link which covers it well. https://econsultancy.com/want-more-s...fewer-options/
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I ordered a custom foam mattress last year from this military supply place. It was a little over $200 for a twin.

The choices seem endless online, but if you call, a guy there will ask you a few questions and recommend the best option. It takes minutes to narrow the choices.

You can even request a mattress with a different firmness on each side (left and right or top and bottom).

Cheap, simple, and flexible. Plus there are no toxic fire retardants like you'll find in consumer mattresses.

For a platform, I ordered a $50 metal frame from Walmart. Super strong and stable. My favorite bed ever, for less than $300 total.

Also lightweight and easy to move. My former latex queen mattress weighed 150 pounds. A memory foam queen can be 80 to 100. My new foam twin is about 20.

My choice of a mattress and foundation is not quite as cheap as the preceeding author but it's close. I bought a cotton futon mattress with a foam core from Wayfair.com and a foldout foundation for something like $400 for both. Works fine and doesn't get as warm as the synthetics, a consideration as I stay quite warm anyway!

Our new Beauty rest silver , extra firm was delivered Friday. I am very pleased, so far. We searched off and on for ages! finally bought it at Boscovs- a fairly local store- My only concern now is that they suggest turning it every two weeks for a few months
    then every 2 months after. That seems impossible for us- it's much too heavy to even slide it around to turn it. So, we'll see what happens. I am trying to figure if we can shove something between the box spring and mattress to make it easier. Our foot board is higher than the bottom of the mattress, so we need to lift it over that.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Our new Beauty rest silver , extra firm was delivered Friday. I am very pleased, so far. We searched off and on for ages! finally bought it at Boscovs- a fairly local store- My only concern now is that they suggest turning it every two weeks for a few months
    then every 2 months after. That seems impossible for us- it's much too heavy to even slide it around to turn it. So, we'll see what happens. I am trying to figure if we can shove something between the box spring and mattress to make it easier. Our foot board is higher than the bottom of the mattress, so we need to lift it over that.
    nswef - How are you liking the mattress? The Beautyrest Silver is one of the ones that I liked. That sure is a lot of turning! I think I've only turned my existing mattress twice in the 10 years I've had it.

Geila, I am still pleased with it. We should turn it tomorrow and my husband says, "No way!" I'll let you all know in a month if there is a horrible dip on both sides! Our old mattress got spun every year and flipped every 5 years, maybe. Lasted well for 40 years, but I suspect these new mattresses are less sturdy. It is VERY comfortable and I'm glad we got the extra firm as there is plenty of cushioning, but I don't sink into it. Good luck with your search.

Additionally, Geila, when we laid down on the test machine it suggested a medium plush....So don't just trust the machine.

Update, one year later on the Beautyrest Silver- un turned! So, it has been a year, we haven't turned it-might get it done on Friday when our teenager we hired to weed comes, he's stronger and with 3 of us we might be able to do it. There are dips in it, but nothing awful. It is so comfortable, I never know when my husband gets in bed or leaves unless he fluffs the covers. He's sleeping much better and I think I am, too. No problems with it at all!

I let my ex have our sleep number king size bed because I want a queen with the adjustable head. It cost 3500 on sale. Worth every penny considering the old bed is 15 years old and perfect. The only thing to wear out is the pump and then you buy a new one. These really are buy one and done plus each person adjusts their firmness.

I’m toying with the idea of having a special mattress made for a Herman bedroom that might be become mine because it’s so cute. One of those attic bedrooms and I want to have a bed that’s covered with curtains does built into the dormer. I would think that it wouldn’t be hard to adapt one of these mattresses you buy online to the situation. I believe the opening is slightly shorter by about two3 inches than a regular bed. I say “believe “because I’ve only done a casual measurement.

I am not tall so my feet never go to the bottom of the mattress and it would work for me.

Thread Information