Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mattress Buying

Can you use the ones like Leesa if you are allergic to latex?

Geila
    Hmmm... the most worrisome aspect for me is the heat issue. A friend said that she switched from a water bed to a non-water bed and that it "sleeps hot" and I didn't know what she meant, but I'm now assuming that it's the foam. I tried many foam beds and disliked most of them, I even got a bit queasy (similar feeling to motion sickness) as I was getting up from a few of them at the end.

For ladies who've experienced the dreaded 50's heat waves that we are blessed with, has any particular type of mattress made things worse or better? For reference, it's been in the 40's with low wind chill at night and I'm sleeping with a window open. Whenever I close it I start to feel clammy and weirdly hot & cold at the same time. I sleep with a thin cotton sheet, a cotton lightweight loose weave blanket and a twin size lightweight cotton matelasse coverlet on top if I get cold. Meanwhile, Dh is bundled up in a thick sheet, a big fleece blanket, and a thick comforter on top. Needless to say, we're sleeping in separate beds!

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Hmmm... the most worrisome aspect for me is the heat issue. A friend said that she switched from a water bed to a non-water bed and that it "sleeps hot" and I didn't know what she meant, but I'm now assuming that it's the foam. I tried many foam beds and disliked most of them, I even got a bit queasy (similar feeling to motion sickness) as I was getting up from a few of them at the end.

For ladies who've experienced the dreaded 50's heat waves that we are blessed with, has any particular type of mattress made things worse or better? For reference, it's been in the 40's with low wind chill at night and I'm sleeping with a window open. Whenever I close it I start to feel clammy and weirdly hot & cold at the same time. I sleep with a thin cotton sheet, a cotton lightweight loose weave blanket and a twin size lightweight cotton matelasse coverlet on top if I get cold. Meanwhile, Dh is bundled up in a thick sheet, a big fleece blanket, and a thick comforter on top. Needless to say, we're sleeping in separate beds!
    Our Tempurpedic was not pleasant for a few years. Super hot for me and I was quite unhappy until I chilled at about age 55! Our Doctors Choice was great! (that's what we have at the cabin).

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Can you use the ones like Leesa if you are allergic to latex?
    I'm allergic to latex, and haven't noticed any issues after a few years exposure to the Leesa. Good question in general though, I didn't look carefully into the exact foam composition.

I replaced old bedding recently and bought a mattress pad and pillows with some sort of supposed newer cooling technology and materials. I sleep hot even in winter with the thermostat turned down. The new materials seem like they help although summer will be the real test. The mattress pad seems to have a lot of softer loft.

Anymore there are so many choices in mattress pads and toppers that a person can personalize just about any mattress or get a few more years out of older mattresses.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm allergic to latex, and haven't noticed any issues after a few years exposure to the Leesa. Good question in general though, I didn't look carefully into the exact foam composition.
    Thanks, me too, and we will be shopping in a year or two and I liked the look of the Leesa. I want that bed they show it on, but can't find that on the website, with the wood headboard.

Latex does sleep cool though. It's a naturally cool substance, it is in many ways the opposite of memory foam. I know, I own one latex filled pillow and a latex mattress topper, but not a latex mattress itself. They are cool, good in summer. But yea some potential one might be allergic.
    Trees don't grow on money

Geila
    Thanks everyone. I took off my mattress cover to see if I could find which model I have, and to wash the cover, and found out I don't have a Beautyrest at all! I have a Serta; it's my pillows that are Beautyrest. Aagghh. I took an online quiz at goodbed and they gave me some recommendations which included some online retailers. So, as often happens when I have too many choices, I find myself overwhelmed and will probably take a break and revisit this in the future. This tendency to overwhelm easily with too many choices has saved me quite a bit of money over time!

Thanks everyone. I took off my mattress cover to see if I could find which model I have, and to wash the cover, and found out I don't have a Beautyrest at all! I have a Serta; it's my pillows that are Beautyrest. Aagghh. I took an online quiz at goodbed and they gave me some recommendations which included some online retailers. So, as often happens when I have too many choices, I find myself overwhelmed and will probably take a break and revisit this in the future. This tendency to overwhelm easily with too many choices has saved me quite a bit of money over time!
    Haha! I deal with choices by buying one of each and sorting them out later. Clearly, yours is the more prudent--and smarter--approach.

I took an online quiz at goodbed and they gave me some recommendations which included some online retailers.
    There is a showroom in Minneapolis that has samples of mattresses from some of the on-line retailers so they can be "test-driven" without the hassle of ordering and returning them later. As above-average as Minnesotans believe themselves to be, I have to think that someone in other large-ish metropolitan areas has had this great idea.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information