Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nature

Nature

I’m not a regular participant on the spirituality threads because I’m not especially spiritual. But reading the nature thread from November got me thinking. We live in an apartment and our only outdoor spaces are a deck off our bedroom and a narrower patio downstairs, off the living room. While I enjoy sitting in the deck and reading books it’s not ‘nature’ by almost any definition of nature. And thankfully there are no leaves to mulch.

However, Over the past year or so I’ve been getting out of the city every weekend, oftentimes both days, to go hiking in various county parks and various places in the golden gate national recreation area. Today as I was slogging up a 1,200 foot elevation gain in the middle of a gorgeous redwood forest just south of the city I realized that the only time when I truly forget about my problems or the nation’s problems, or any problems bigger than ‘my foot hurts’ is when I’m out hiking. Going uphill I am focused on ‘inhale, two, three, exhale, two, three’ in time with my steps and going downhill I tend to focus on ‘wow! This place is beautiful.’ Occasionally I stop to take a picture or two but they just don’t do justice to how I feel in the moment.

It would be nice to be so close to the big redwood trees. I’m sure they are magical.

I think you are right about that, jp.. I really enjoy walks in the woods--it really does take you into the moment and away from civilization, which can be a very good thing at times. We have two state parks on the island, and one of them has a 1.7 mile loop through the woods and along a bay and it's just right for me. I'm sure you've heard of "forest bathing"--the Japanese concept of immersion in nature and the woods just for the pure sensory experience of it.

https://time.com/5259602/japanese-forest-bathing/

And I agree with IL, I haven't yet been to Muir Woods or any redwood forest but have always wanted to go. It must be amazing.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Having been to Muir Woods, I was amazed at the stature of the trees and how tiny it actually was. The courage and effort that it took to protect it is a wonderful story of human endeavour that later generations get to enjoy.
    As a country girl, nature is my favourite environment and I fiercely protect it from commercial limited and destructive thinking.
    Glad to read that you find it refreshing. When a Girl Guide leader, I took young girls hiking and camping in nature and it was wonderful to see their delight as many had never had the exposure before.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Would love to see a redwood tree in person! I have always enjoyed being out in nature, but will admit to becoming a home-body the last couple of years. I think it may be time to step out again. Thanks for this wonderful reminder!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Our Missouri cypress trees share similar characteristics to the sequoias—they are reddish, grow very tall, live a long time, and are deciduous needled trees. Those dropped needles form the carpet in the redwood forests that make those areas extra special.

I have a cypress on our Hermann property which is the biggest tree I have ever had. It is a beauty.On this thread
    I will be respectful of trees because they do have their place in our lives.

p.s. I just looked it up to see that cypress and sequoias are closely related.

Being in nature is definitely my happy place. I went to Muir Woods when I was too young to really appreciate it.

Yppej
    I love nature but mainly walk around my neighborhood. I do not feel it is safe to walk by myself in isolated areas. Joining a hiking group has crossed my mind but I am cheap and do not want to pay dues. Sometimes I do find people to go on walks with me but not as often as I would like.

Although we live in the city our house is in the suburbs and backs up to a large greenspace and trail system. Our home is in a cul-de-sac and when you leave the front to go to the back there is no sense of being in the city anymore. Our lot is pie shaped and the house is in the small corner. The back opens up to a little over an acre of lawn surrounded by a creek, woods and miles of trails. The further you go out into the trail system you get no sense of being in an urban area at all. We have several walks we do with the dogs and often never run into another person. We have left it unfenced in the back so several times a day we have deer or coyotes passing through the yard. We did a lot of camping last year and realized that more often than not, home was a more tranquil experience of the outdoors. Definitely fewer people and people sounds.
    I love watching the seasons pass and how the woods change from year to year. It brings me peace and serenity.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    I love watching the seasons pass and how the woods change from year to year. It brings me peace and serenity.
    I agree. I'm not crazy about winter, but I would never live in a boring climate where you could pre-record the weather forecast like Steve Martin did in LA story. The seasons represent the circle of life to me, and each is to be revered.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information