Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: This is dark and possibly upsetting

That was a great book. The other two great books about attitudes and the holocaust were “Night” and “All But My Life.” I have always been optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post

Life IS what we make it. We can be joyous. It is a choice. We can make a difference for this one and rejoice. Yes, it really is that simple.

Well, it is simple, but it is also difficult to achieve.

Like reducing diets, you know? It’s a simple “calories in calories out” equation yet why we are fat?

My own approach to life is that I am almost always content, often happy, once in a while joyous. I don’t take any particular credit for that mindset, it is a likely marriage of nature and nurture. My genes predispose me to brain chemistry for being on an even keel. My parents were thus, my brother is, we don’t have mental illness or substance abuse in our near relatives. My upbringing was without drama. These are the building blocks of a contented mindset. Not everyone has those.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    That was a great book. The other two great books about attitudes and the holocaust were “Night” and “All But My Life.” I have always been optimistic.
    My copy of Man’s Search for Meaning by Frankl was one of a small number of books I moved to New Mexico with me for my first professional job. The library I worked in did not have a copy. I rolled my eyes and sighed at that, and I immediately put in a request to order which was never approved. Double sigh,

So when the nth patron asked about this book, I just brought mine from home and gave it to her. Months later I moved back to the Midwest. Months after that I got an apologetic note from her with my copy returned, forwarded by my prior employer, where she apologized for keeping my copy so long.

But she didn’t know it simply didn’t matter to me, there’s a zillion used copies of Man’s Search for Meaning you can get for cents on the dollar, no problem. It’s an important book. I should go see if that library in New Mexico has a copy to this day, haha.

Geez, what kind of library was that?
    KCLS has versions of Man's Search for Meaning in English and Spanish, ebooks, audiobooks. large print, several different versions, etc.

Despite a tendency toward mild depression (hypothyroidism), and an extended family history of crippling mental disorders and substance abuse, I dodged a bullet. My parents weren't joyful, but neither were they substance abusers. I'm happy/content enough most of the time, but I understand depression--it can suck you under.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Geez, what kind of library was that?
    KCLS has versions of Man's Search for Meaning in English and Spanish, ebooks, audiobooks. large print, several different versions, etc.

Despite a tendency toward mild depression (hypothyroidism), and an extended family history of crippling mental disorders and substance abuse, I dodged a bullet. My parents weren't joyful, but neither were they substance abusers. I'm happy/content enough most of the time, but I understand depression--it can suck you under.
    It is the kind of library that STILL doesn’t have it. Unbelievable.

I just checked their catalog of holdings.

It does show Man’s Search for Ultimate Meaning by Frankle as a ebook, but I do think that is an entirely different work, not an updated and revised version of Man’s Search.

But that said, there’s no way you can compare King county to Branigan ibrary because there’s millions of dollars in difference of acquisitions budget.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is the kind of library that STILL doesn’t have it. Unbelievable.

But that said, there’s no way you can compare King county to break in library because there’s about millions of dollars in difference of acquisitions budget.
    I'm very proud to live in an area with a world-class library system whose every bond is overwhelmingly approved. And to have worked for said system.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm very proud to live in an area with a world-class library system whose every bond is overwhelmingly approved. And to have worked for said system.
    Median income Seattle $93,000

Median income Las Cruces $40,000

Plus a much smaller population base, much much smaller in Las Cruces. If you’re attempting to make a comparison, it’s apples and oranges.

Better comparisons to Las Cruces are university towns across the country that are similar population. When I left there I interviewed in midwestern towns, some university towns, with better library funding. New Mexico is Poor, one of the poorest states in our United States. I’m not sure I would burden that populace with very high taxes for public services. I remember having a couple conversations with library users who moved from the East Coast to Las Cruces because it was cheap and warmer. Then they were surprised because public services were not up to their snuff. Hello disconnect much?

King County Library System doesn't cover Seattle, oddly enough. They have their own library system. King County's median income is probably higher though.

Even though Las Cruces is smaller and poorer, Man's Search for Meaning was a classic in its time.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I had a bit of a "spiritual awakening" in high school, because my childhood was so rough and joyless. But when I was 12 and my alcoholic father left, my mother remarried and we started having a normal family life, for me it was like waking up feeling well after a long, painful illness--it was that kind of joy. I remember writing in my diary about all the things I loved about life "I even love hating homework because hate is a part of life and I love life!" So in order to embrace life, we have to embrace all sides if it. It's not an either/or.
    I agree that it is not an either/or. But how we look at it is still a choice. You had an "awakening" and you made the choice to star looking at life differently. Yes there is joy and yes there is sadness, and everyone gets to choose if/how/when/etc. they look at it all.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information