Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many storage boxes do you have?

I probably win the prize of storage boxes right now. One full room of boxes and shelves full of fabric and books and kits. Two stacks of boxes full of vintage Fiesta. Another room full of hubby's "stuff" in boxes on shelves. Getting rid of it is a gradual process. I am getting ready to cut 12 boxes of wool into one or two boxes of pieces ready for sewing. Waiting on my cutting mat.

Have had some success in not letting new things into the house.

I lied. We each have 1 small box of K-12 memorabilia in the top of the linen closet. Forgot about those. This was a cleanup project about 20 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I lied. We each have 1 small box of K-12 memorabilia in the top of the linen closet. Forgot about those. This was a cleanup project about 20 years ago!
    how do you store photographs? I am trying to cisualize getting photos down to 1 shelf of albums.

Umm, probably more than a dozen.

DW has a bunch of plastic tubs for her stuff (seasonal decorations, some stuff she plans to give DD someday, etc.).

I have a few boxes in another room which hold a collection I want to find a home for.

Like anm I have a box of cables and adapters that I do use. I also have a box of personal memorabilia which I haven't looked at in quite some time (used to have three boxes; two smaller ones filled with yearbooks; got rid of those when I moved to the efficiency apartment).

There's a box of stuff that came with the house (some leftover ceramic tile, pieces-parts that we don't use on the appliances but which should stay with the appliances).

There are a couple of boxes out in the garage holding items moved from MiL's house when she went into assisted living; most of those are waiting out a year and if MiL hasn't come up with a reason to raid the boxes they're going to disappear.

One of DW's few declared projects when she retires is to go through boxes. I'm happy to help and once she retires, I'll have more time to get to the collection boxes and get those out of the house, too.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    how do you store photographs? I am trying to cisualize getting photos down to 1 shelf of albums.
    We have never been big into photos in our nearly 40y married. I think there are maybe 6 albums on the bottom shelf of our bookcase. There are also 2 scrapbooks: 1 from my K-12 and 1 from my 32d in Holland with Mom/Dad/sister.

I have 6 photo albums from our entire life for a family of 5. The kids want us to keep them for them.

I have one box of collectible books, one of old glassware and one of old photos. Two boxes of off season clothing. That's it.
    DH probably has 10-12 boxes of camera related stuff - all in his closet. The shed and mudroom may have 3-4 of what I don't know...manly man stuff.
    Our next move will be considerably easier than the last one.

Like Tybee I am in awe of the small number of boxes out there! We have an attic and basement! NOT A GOOD THING! I have many empty boxes in the attic....and stuff on the floor of the attic to be put in the tubs...but hasn't happened. I did get rid of a load of things one year just doing it 15 minutes at a time, but not recently. The basement is not boxes but tools and paint and pots and tools and tools and tools which are not mine to purge. Oh and we have shoeboxes with tax documentation back to the 80s. Husband does not want them gone. So, bravo to those of you who have reduced the piles. It's inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Like Tybee I am in awe of the small number of boxes out there! We have an attic and basement! NOT A GOOD THING! I have many empty boxes in the attic....and stuff on the floor of the attic to be put in the tubs...but hasn't happened. I did get rid of a load of things one year just doing it 15 minutes at a time, but not recently. The basement is not boxes but tools and paint and pots and tools and tools and tools which are not mine to purge. Oh and we have shoeboxes with tax documentation back to the 80s. Husband does not want them gone. So, bravo to those of you who have reduced the piles. It's inspiring.
    It is inspiring! We have taxes going back several years, and my husband has a shed full of tools. I think mentally I was not even counting them.

I have three or four boxes of fabric, two boxes of wool (sweater and sock), and six boxes of seeds. That is just the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    It is inspiring! We have taxes going back several years, and my husband has a shed full of tools. I think mentally I was not even counting them.

I have three or four boxes of fabric, two boxes of wool (sweater and sock), and six boxes of seeds. That is just the beginning.
    Oh, well, if you are counting tools... And as for taxes, do you believe I've never thrown out a tax return. And I have every paycheck stub I ever earned. My husband calls it hoarding, I call it archiving historic documentation.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information