Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping Collusion Insurance

Dropping Collusion Insurance

So we keep our cars until dead and a friend of mine used to be a insurance agent said that they drop it after 5 years. My Toyota Corolla is 12 years old with 55k miles. We have a 500 deductible and pay 465/ year for collision. BB values are between 4600-6200 for good condition but I know from past experience you never get that from insurance if it’s totaled. They may decide it’s only fair condition, etc. What do you guys do?

We drop collision insurance before the value gets that low, I’m thinking around $7000 or $8,000.It’s all about what level of risk you want to take.

Many years ago my car was stolen. DH called the insurance company to report it for the liability issue with somebody else driving it. The car was financially recovered however.

Yppej
    In the past I have called the insurance company to see what they would pay if my car got totaled and then made my decision.

I drop collision when the car is about 5-6 years old. My car is now 13 years old and I haven't had collision on it for years. I tend to self-insure if possible. DH has the opposite mindset. We are now debating over getting vision and dental insurance. I say by the time you pay those premiums you could have paid for a crown or an eye exam. He likes knowing he'll pay less at the doctor--he doesn't see the monthly costs like I do because I pay the bills. (A bit of a sidebar, but related.)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

To date, removing collision coverage on either our 9-year-old car or our 18-year-old car would save all of $140 a year. Given that the cars are valued around $9-10,000 (together), spending even $60 a year on my car to avoid spending $3,000-3,500 self-insured without collision seems like a decent bet to place.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

This topic got me to pull out my policy and check. We have one 9 yr old car with 40K miles on it and are paying annually:
    Liability - 388
    Comp - 372
    Collision - 268
    It is the comprehensive that I question the most...but this definitely needs some updating. They give us a break on our house but looks like the make up for it on the car.

Side note on car insurance: We are retired and our agent suggested we might reduce our insurance by having a tracking device record our driving for about 3-4 months. Just finished and their online system says we will qualify for a 40% discount. Worth inquiring about. We have Nationwide.

“Collusion Insurance” seems like the sort of thing politicians would buy.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    except that no carrier would insure them, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information