Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What if Bernie goes all the way

What if Bernie goes all the way

What do you think will happen if Bernie becomes President?

Im concerned, but think most likely he won’t get anything done. What has he accomplished in the past? The republicans aren’t going along with his proposals, and neither will many of the Democrats.

It'll be a standstill as far as new legislation I suspect.

He might get a couple of Supreme Court picks, and lots of lower-level appointments.

Presumably he can exercise quite a bit of power on his own though using existing executive branch powers, until and unless Congress takes some of them back.

I think bae is right. Short of some electoral wave that washes out a huge segment of the current office holders, I don’t think most of Bernie’s proposals will ever be put to the test in the real world.

I agree with both bae and LDAHL, actually I'm not terribly concerned about Bernie's potential as a one term president, I'm more concerned with his growing number of accolytes ready to force his revolution upon us along with the normalization of dependence on an all powerful government.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

A lot probably depends on who controls the Senate. I doubt that some of his wild ideas on free college education and medicare for all will advance to ideal completion, but there could be some compromises.

Donald has been a good example of how far a president can extend executive power even up to partially controlling the judicial branch, determining the direction of environmental policy and use of public lands, and shrinking important agencies like the EPA. I would not at all discount Bernie as being a do nothing president. I think there will be changes in the tax structure.

The Trumpers will get rabid and push for an impeachment payback.

If you go by Bernie's record, your fears that the US will turn into some communist gulag are sure to be unfounded.

Burlington, VT is a thriving city, thanks in good measure to his leadership as mayor.

Take a look at some of his accomplishments: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/02...ith-citations/

IRL as President, I would hope that he'd get rid of the wolves in charge of the EPA henhouse. I would hope that he would reverse all 95 of Trumps environmental roll-backs and elevate the urgency of combatting climate change. I would hope that he would move the needle a little more towards a progressive agenda, and I would hope that the Senate would gain enough democratic seats to enable some legislation to move forward. I don't expect miracles. But I do expect that a man who has dedicated his life to improve the lives of all the citizens of this country with consistency, honesty and integrity would be a vast improvement over our current leader.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    If you go by Bernie's record, your fears that the US will turn into some communist gulag are sure to be unfounded.

Burlington, VT is a thriving city, thanks in good measure to his leadership as mayor.

Take a look at some of his accomplishments: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/02...ith-citations/

IRL as President, I would hope that he'd get rid of the wolves in charge of the EPA henhouse. I would hope that he would reverse all 95 of Trumps environmental roll-backs and elevate the urgency of combatting climate change. I would hope that he would move the needle a little more towards a progressive agenda, and I would hope that the Senate would gain enough democratic seats to enable some legislation to move forward. I don't expect miracles. But I do expect that a man who has dedicated his life to improve the lives of all the citizens of this country with consistency, honesty and integrity would be a vast improvement over our current leader.
    Hear, hear! Bernie isn't my candidate (yet), but I have a great deal of respect for his character and his perseverance. Character is something we sorely lack in the current iteration of American governance, led as we are by a coalition of grifters, sycophants, and scoundrels.

Yppej
    I think he would have appointees who represent regular people not oligarchs, that enforcement of existing laws would change from the environment to marijuana to the border, and that he would use the bully pulpit to shame Congress into some things like allowing negotiation on drug prices.

Due to his age, I think we need to be comfortable that his running mate is a good choice for President.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I think I would finally get a good night's sleep.

Thread Information