Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Net worth and housing

Gardner, I don't understand the asset calculator.

We count our house as it’s a significant asset. We could sell it and move to a cheaper part of the country if we wanted to. We couldn’t afford to pay rent here now. I don’t think we are in a bubble like last time since 30 tech companies have moved here and we are growing like crazy. When we both die our pensions are dead too)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    We count our house as it’s a significant asset. We could sell it and move to a cheaper part of the country if we wanted to.
    This is how I treat my houses on the island here too. I could sell one and move to most anywhere else in the country, and end up with a fair chunk of money in my pocket, and lower costs overall. I've factored this into my worst-case financial model for my aging years.

Actually if we wanted some of the house money we would probably move to a condo which are much cheaper. After living in 5 states this place is wonderful and why so many people are moving here. I would miss the great weather, tons of activities and my family and friends.

Actually if we wanted some of the house money we would probably move to a condo which are much cheaper. After living in 5 states this place is wonderful and why so many people are moving here. I would miss the great weather, tons of activities and my family and friends.
    I think my most likely plan here is to sell the 4500 sq. ft. house on the mountain on the island, that I am living in now, and move into my mother's 1200 sq. ft. place down on the beach, within easy walking distance of our village, once she no longer has need of it. At that point I'll either rent out the big house, or sell it.

Then if I run out of money later on, I can always take out a mortgage or reverse mortgage on one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Gardner, I don't understand the asset calculator.

Income: 100000

50*.1= 5 * 100000 = 500k asset target for this age at this current income.

All fictitious

Downsizing for you is a great option. We downsized 8 years ago.

We count our house as it’s a significant asset. We could sell it and move to a cheaper part of the country if we wanted to. We couldn’t afford to pay rent here now. I don’t think we are in a bubble like last time since 30 tech companies have moved here and we are growing like crazy. When we both die our pensions are dead too)
    We are in our retirement community already. Selling to go into something smaller would actually cost us more $! Real estate is crazy here.

My pension dies with me. Hubbies has a cash value that goes into our Trust for distribution with our other cash assets.

Our real estate and personal property is an insignificant portion of our net worth. We consider it a use asset and not an appreciating asset (regardless of the current market). I dont follow it "value" and pretty much keep it on our asset list at cost.

The house is a asset, so I count it. I am very conservative on what I value it. It could be sold, rented or borrowed against. It is about 15% of my net worth. Depending on where the stock market settles at.

Thread Information