Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Inheritances

Simplemind, your dad was a great guy, but you are a great writer! Kudos!

It is lovely when the deceased have professional writers do their obituaries. My cousin, a journalist and PR guy, wrote his father’s obit and it was very nice although he didn’t have the material you had to work with.

Wow, what a great tribute! I also had a wonderful dad that spent lots of time with us kids. He also had many sayings including the bedtime in the swamp)

OK TT, now our similarities are really freaking me out !!

And Marie Osmond has announced that her children will receive ZERO $.

SM, your post about your dad made me cry. No one has ever used that saying and he took me hunting for pheasants and rabbits which we ate. When I go home and get together with my childhood friends they all reminisce because he drove us everywhere and all had us singing songs from the 1940’s. He has been gone 30 years but not forgotten. As a teenager I told him all my problems. Your dad and mine one of a kind.

TT we inherited a lifetime of special experiences with our dads that money could never buy. My dad also loved to sing and had a great voice. He was always my soft place to land as I had a rather fractious relationship with my mom. He taught me all the important skills in life for which I will be forever grateful. I miss him terribly. Now I must know the origins of that saying!!

Let’s hear it for our dads! I loved mine, too! He wasn’t the big character that your dads were (sounds like) but bits of zany came out now and then.

I married my father. DH is VERY similar in temperament.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-4-20 at 10:04am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I married my father.
    Me, too. When my mother saw DH for the first time she said she almost fainted. Aside from the resemblance, he has a lot of my dad's characteristics.

Simplemind, I also fully enjoyed your dad's obituary. A wonderful window into his soul, and his impact on your family.

As for the cheers for the dads, I got a lot from both of mine (even though both were alcoholics--my stepfather was in recovery for my high school years). My dad was a sensitive soul, an artist, a performer, a philosopher, a perfectionist. My stepdad was my family's savior, simply by showing up. Being there, going to work, coming home, being engaged with us kids, providing spontaneous fun and emotional support if we wanted it.
    Last edited by catherine; 3-4-20 at 1:18pm.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Actually not one person in my immediate family could sing. It didn’t matter and he would sing loudly and assign everyone a part. My dad never met a stranger and talked to everyone. My mom and I were very close but she was more shy and reserved. I am like my dad.

Thread Information