Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: March Frugals

Yppej

March Frugals

I went for an oil change, with a coupon a savings of $10 over where I went last time. I also wanted the brakes checked and they said that would be $10 additional. Twice I said then don't check them I will go elsewhere and they backed down and did it at no additional charge.

Bought tuna at Smart & Final for 49 cents a can.

Still cooking from the freezer/pantry/fridge. No food purchased since 2/19. I'm trying to get to Wednesday. Hmmmm, going to have to get creative.

I was going to say no spend day but then realized that DH spent 380 at grocery store which takes us through the month). Last month we only spent 200.

We used a gift card our son sent us last year at a local pie place and split an entree and because it was Sunday, they threw in a free piece of pie.

Husband had water and I had coffee; we still have enough on card to split a piece of pie next time.

Been trying to cut our food $ down. First step is figuring out where we spend too much, aside from the obvious, waste.

Found a youtube of a woman with 4 kids, who made 126 meals for $31. Not that I'd do that unless I was desperate, but it shows what you CAN do... Her meals average out about .25 a meal. I'm looking to cut our protein cost to that. Usually I can manage .50 without too much problem. But beyond that, it gets hard!

We average 300/month for 2 people minus alcohol so am happy with that.

Mar 02
    --2 days at home and no spend
    --kept busy reading from the library and watching Youtube videos
    on how to decide if jewellery is any good. Fun!
    --and decluttering more stuff.
    --Eating from the pantry
    --That is all for now.

--

Not currently working, so I really need to get back on the frugal bandwagon! Sunday and Monday were no-spend days. Today was a trip to Dollar General for the items we buy that they have the cheapest price on, plus some snacks for DH. And I confess to a large box of cheese-its for DD and myself. DS has a very dead car, is job hunting, and has no money. We sure as heck can't help them with much of a car, but we do have an old junker that we've not gotten around to taking off the insurance, so it's going to the mechanic tomorrow to see if it's worth making road-worthy. I think it had some pin-hole leaks in the radiator, but it was running ok when we parked it last fall. Not sure if I can count that as a frugal yet, lol.

Yppej
    I got the furnace cleaned today and some small repairs made. It is probably 25 years old now but we are babying it along. Same with my car at now at over 100,000 miles, the creaky drier, the dinged and dented fridge with broken shelving, and the kitchen with missing cabinet drawers. I am trying to keep my eyes on the retirement prize.

Thread Information