Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: March Frugals

Not a very big deal, but the little things make a difference. I was going to the grocery store for a couple of things and thought I might like to stop into TJ Maxx on the way and poke around since I hadn't done that for a long time, I had money in my wallet and I had the time available. I parked in the parking lot and sat in the car for a minute, thinking "I don't even need anything from here and I'm working to eliminate non-essential clutter from my life. There is no good reason for me to go into that store, and a few good reasons not to go in." So I left.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I got the furnace cleaned today and some small repairs made. It is probably 25 years old now but we are babying it along. Same with my car at now at over 100,000 miles, the creaky drier, the dinged and dented fridge with broken shelving, and the kitchen with missing cabinet drawers. I am trying to keep my eyes on the retirement prize.
    Jep: I believe once your furnace hits 30 years old, you would be eligible for a zero-interest HEAT loan through the Mass Save program, and a decent rebate as well. I believe you have an oil burning system too, is that correct? Definitely worth looking into.

Bought a special cutting die for a machine two weeks ago. To use it, I need a special cutting mat that the local store said they would order. Just called them to see where it was. Have not ordered it and will not order it until they accumulate $800 in wholesale orders. Told me to order it online. So instead of ordering the mat, I thought about it and returned the die to the store. Decided I could live without the $100 I would have spent on the two items. Wasted my time and my gas to do all this. No wonder people order online.

So I "saved" $100 by returning the item and not buying the other half needed to use it. If I was the company, I would have thought of this ahead of time so the customer could be informed up front, or held onto the die until the mat could be secured, or keep enough stock on hand to supply the customers. At least I did not have to pay for the mat up front.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Not a very big deal, but the little things make a difference. I was going to the grocery store for a couple of things and thought I might like to stop into TJ Maxx on the way and poke around since I hadn't done that for a long time, I had money in my wallet and I had the time available. I parked in the parking lot and sat in the car for a minute, thinking "I don't even need anything from here and I'm working to eliminate non-essential clutter from my life. There is no good reason for me to go into that store, and a few good reasons not to go in." So I left.
    That's a victory. RR!

And yes I have oil heat. Natural gas is also an option in my area but more expensive. A contractor told my son you have to go NG if it is available in your area to get the rebate as it is supposedly a greener fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    That's a victory. RR!

And yes I have oil heat. Natural gas is also an option in my area but more expensive. A contractor told my son you have to go NG if it is available in your area to get the rebate as it is supposedly a greener fuel.
    That isn't true. We had an oil furnace and we replaced it with a new oil furnace and we did get the rebate, even though we have gas in our house for stove, water heater & dryer. I wonder if that contractor had his own agenda.

Yppej
    Could be Rosa. Thanks for the info.

Yesterday I agreed to go to a hockey game even though I was tired (getting things ready for camping this weekend) since it meant meeting one of my boyfriend's newer coworkers and free dinner (his employer has a suite and they always order food from the in-house catering). Because of that, we're making last night's meal tonight.

Now if I can only get him to NOT eat out most lunches and any dinner I'm not around for..

I backed out of a luncheon because I knew it was a fundraiser and I'm not able to contribute right now. They might as well fill the seat with someone who can open her checkbook. Ran the numbers for January and February and we're WAY over budget on shopping and restaurants.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Yppej
    The water authority forced us to replace our meter. During this process debris and air pockets got in the lines and most have worked their way out, but the toilet has gotten worse to the point where it no longer works. It is back to flushing with a bucket for the second time in a year. DS will see if he can clear the lines before we call in a plumber. If he can't I may see if my brother can. I learned the bucket trick from my parents. When I was growing up we also had only one bathroom.

Ran a bunch of errands this morning on the way to meet my sister for a day of drooling over the SR-71 and other cool aircraft at our local free Air Force Museum. They were showcasing it and the U-2 this weekend. Lots of fun. We did go to the local market for lunch (Dsis's treat!) and I picked up some of our favorite yogurt from the producer's stall. Got a coffee using a gift card. So only spent for the yogurt and a small gift for DD -she loves to bake and decorate sugar cookies for all occasions and has a large selection of cookie cutters. She likes odd ones and has a dark sense of humor (we had bloody hatchet cookies for Lizzie Borden's birthday last year) so I got her a set at the museum that has a pistol, a machine gun, a hand-grenade, and a bullet. (Looking forward to theme cookies for upcoming military commemorations....) All in all, a good day out for very little cost.

Thread Information