Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where would you travel if money/time is no object

I'd probably throw a dart on a map. I don't know if I have a place I really want to visit above all others, but I really love the experience of being in different places. There may be some countries I would NOT want to visit because of socio-political issues, but beyond that, I'm game.

I think I would be interested in Ireland because I have a lot of ancestors from there, but I also have ancestors from Scotland and England, and I've already been to those countries. So I'd do Ireland and THEN throw the dart on the map.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have a trip planned for September with a little over a week in Cape Cod. We were there a few years ago and only got to Martha's Vineyard when hurricane weather blew us out. From there it will be up to the Canadian Maritimes for a couple of weeks.
    Beyond that now that hubby is traveling a bit better (since his stroke) I would love to go back to England and check out Devon and Cornwall before checking out a few other countries. Scandinavia is looking interesting since we have watched so many shows that take place there. Japan is another on my list. Our daughter just got back today and was there for three weeks. We concentrated on the RV life last year and I'm ready to get back in a plane once this Corona virus has settled down.

SM, how did you like the RV? We are glad we bought a used one because at times it was fun but mostly expensive. We did get to stay in National parks with 4 dogs and that wouldn’t have been possible without it. We sold it 2 weeks ago because with 2 small dogs we just drive and stay in motels.

TT it never ceases to amaze me that we have so much in common.
    I did like the RV. It is a 2003 24ft Minnie Winnie in perfect condition. We have two large dogs so we took out the carpet and put down vinyl. We also took out the jackknife couch and put in recliners. We took it out 17 times last year with and without the dogs. To go along with the inheritance thread, I was able to purchase it with my money from that and it makes me smile and think of my dad every time I get in it. That said, it is camping. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I want to travel and not be tied down with the dogs. Not that I don't miss them when we travel but I know they are loving being at home with the kids. My sister and brother also bought RV's. A 35ft 5th wheel for my brother and a 30ft class A for my sister and we have traveled and camped together. We want to return to our previous type of travel and probably only go camping about four times a year. That makes it a very expensive tent taking up the driveway so we see having it for another couple of years and then selling. As you know, not a cheap way to travel no matter what they say.

These posts are making me wish we had bought a trailer! So I guess that would be my travel objective if money and time were no object--get a nice truck for dh and a nice little camper for me--I just want a 16 foot viking, economical and lightweight and practical. Then I would travel back to SC for winter travel, maybe buy a piece of land there, and go to Florida, and go to Midwest, Wisconsin and Minnesota--never been to Minnesota but the pictures are so beautiful.

IT would be super to go out West to see my son, and see things like the Grand Canyon and Mount Rushmore.

About once a year I think to myself “wouldn't it be interesting to travel first class one time to Europe? “

And then I price it out. And I am horrified. And the thing is, I can afford it but dear Lord I’m not gonna pay that. It does help that both of us are on the short side of average so it’s not like we have to fold our 6’ 5” legs into cramped coach class.

For us, a blowout 2+ week vacation overseas is around $10,000. Asia might be more than Europe because plane fare is higher, but I woild guess corresponding land activities would be less than Central Europe, certainly less than Western Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    About once a year I think to myself “wouldn't it be interesting to travel first class one time to Europe? “

And then I price it out. And I am horrified. And the thing is, I can afford it but dear Lord I’m not gonna pay that. It does help that both of us are on the short side of average so it’s not like we have to fold our 6’ 5” legs into cramped coach class.
    If you are short, your not missing much except for the free drinks. I've flown first class on my clients' dime, and I've been upgraded a lot because of my frequent flier status. What I've found is:
    • To your point about being short, I'm also short (5'2") and I'm actually MORE comfortable in coach than sitting on those big seats where my feet don't hit the floor and the backs of the seats don't line up with my lumbar region.
    • It's nice to be waited on with pretty good food and free drinks, but that perk is not worth thousands of dollars
    • While it can feel like a cattle car in coach, 1st class (without being too heavy on the stereotypes) tend to be stuffy, entitled people. No big deal. I'm not going to strike up a conversation with them, but particularly on domestic flights you definitely get the "Oh, yeah, I DESERVE to be here and you don't" vibe.
    • If I were traveling more than 8-10 hours and the price was not insane, I would definitely consider it. When I flew to Japan I had my own "pod" on ANA Airlines. I could sleep horizontally and no one could see me. The food was outstanding.
    • I agree that thousands of dollars for a few hours of relatively better comfort than coach is not worth it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

IL last year we took a back to back tours just short of three weeks in Eastern Canada and then down the Hudson river valley that was the price of a German automobile. It was worth every penny because we saw things we didn't know existed and didn't have to worry about a thing. Very important to us since DH had his stroke and gets overwhelmed easily with planning or driving for long or where he is unfamiliar. The food and places we stayed were amazing.
    We have taken several of these types of tours and enjoyed each of them immensely. If we were younger and DH didn't have his issues we would probably work them out on our own through researching the areas and piecing it together but in current circumstances this works for us. Thank God for FF miles, they offset the expense a bit.

For our last European trip we had a tour guide with his own car and a pre-planned itinerary that took into account our interests (public gardens and architecture.)

The REAL value in that preplanned tour was, for me—No fighting! It was marital harmony the whole time because We didn’t have to figure out where to go how to get there when we had to be there etc.

Exactly IL!! It is so nice to sit back and just enjoy with no stress. I can totally appreciate that DH doesn't want to drive because he can't enjoy while trying to concentrate on unfamiliar roads.

Thread Information