Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BACKYARD COMPOST SYSTEM SURVEY

Interesting survey, but our compost system is just a pile...which we rake and weed every now and then. I do love the idea of a "pretty" system but as we live out where no one cares about how it looks...I find the pile much easier to access than a pretty wooden bin, that would rot. The idea of the sifter and wheeled cart is cool. My husband made me a portable box for sifting, that i put over the wheelbarrow, but generally I don't bother to sift.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Interesting survey, but our compost system is just a pile...which we rake and weed every now and then. I do love the idea of a "pretty" system but as we live out where no one cares about how it looks...I find the pile much easier to access than a pretty wooden bin, that would rot. The idea of the sifter and wheeled cart is cool. My husband made me a portable box for sifting, that i put over the wheelbarrow, but generally I don't bother to sift.
    I did take the survey. We do the sameas you nswef. It's a pile behind our hot tub. And we're in city limits. No need for fancy schmancy containers.

Thank you for taking my survey and for all the comments! First off, I apologize for sketching people out by posting a link as a new member. I know I haven't participated in this forum before, but I wanted to get quality feedback from people who have knowledge and opinions about backyard gardening and composting.

Your feedback is all very helpful. I know that this system is not for everyone (even my own compost bin is made from old pallets), but since I am in school for product design, I am trying to create a solution for people who want to have a better impact on the environment but don't want to create their own bins or have freestanding piles of decomposing food in their backyard.

Thank you again for the help!

My compost piles are 5' by 5' based on Joseph Jenkins' rough design in the Humanure Handbook. 3' seems a little small.

We actually have too many destinations for our compost, as we have a worm bin and chickens, in addition to the compost pile. We're constantly checking to make sure the worms have enough to eat, and are always trying to set some things aside for the chickens.

I like to have a compost pile the chickens can't get to, because when they get in, they spread the compost everywhere. The last time I added compost to the garden beds, I had to scrape a thin layer off the entire back yard, so I finally built good solid bins, 5' by 5' by 4' tall.

Like the designs a lot, but I'm partial to the rotating bin that allows you to easily turn the pile whenever you need to. Not the most stylish, but easy. No idea if that's actually the best way to compost though, I just grew up with it, so on my to-do list is to actually learn about how compost systems are "supposed" to work.

I like this and may have to give it a try eventually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Nk3ciLis
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information