Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone stocking up on foods due to the virus?

Our pasta aisle is decimated. Ditto with rice, soup. Very picked over where the canned beans are.

Yppej
    I have thought of a second wave but don't want to stock up at current high prices. If I can ever find antibacterial wipes or disinfectant spray though I will buy as many as the store will let me. My DS says he can't make his own spray with bleach because it will stain/ruin things like fabrics. He has OCD and disinfects everything. For probably a month now he has not taken a shower because we only have one bathroom and he is concerned my germs are in it and he can't clean it like he normally does before he uses it. By going to the store frequently and early he is occasionally able to find something but only enough for things like food packages. I am convinced the seniors buy up the product since they get to enter the store the first hour of the day. It is not fair to people of other age groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    My DS ... For probably a month now he has not taken a shower ...
    Well, on the up side, that should help with his social distancing :-)

One store here has disinfectant but it's behind (not in front of) the check out counter so basically you have to ask for it when checking out. That's how tightly it's guarded, so sure you can buy *one* bottle but kinda don't even think of trying anything else. The way it has to be I guess, people hoarded, this is why we can't have nice things.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Well, on the up side, that should help with his social distancing :-)
    I have thought masks might do the opposite, because people are less likely to smell others' bad breath.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Very few of us have seen anything like this.
    It looks like perhaps more than you thought.

But to be fair, my observations of stockpiling, at least locally, were all in the first month or so. Staples appear to be readily available lately.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Just got back from grocery shopping and lots of things are gone, lots of half empty cases, lots of categories gone. We went late in the day this time, sort of the after work hour, and it's payday, so people probably did a lot of shopping today.

But in all recent trips, have noticed shortages in all of the stores.

I stocked up with a 3 week or so supply of non perishables, dried beans, rice, and canned goods way back. I've mostly left those things alone to have on hand as a permanent emergency stock. Plus a bi-weekly visit to the grocery store. Today was my grocery store day and there were a couple of unimportant things on my list that weren't stocked, but for the most part the supplies seemed close to normal. Still the two item limits on meat.

Went to the grocery, got off work (from home) early, so thought I'd avoid the memorial day madness, by hitting the store at 3:30. Had to wait in line for 15-20 minutes to get in the store anyway, so didn't really avoid anything.

What wasn't there, no TP, but had paper towels, lots of rice missing except instant and a brown rice/wild (non instant) mixture, I like the latter. Not so many canned beans but got some pintos. All else pretty normal stock, people were buying quite a lot of meat, I don't think it's stocking up - I think it's memorial day, beef and stuff.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It looks like perhaps more than you thought.
    I meant the entire pandemic and its disruption to life as we knew it, but, yeah, you've got one way to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    But to be fair, my observations of stockpiling, at least locally, were all in the first month or so. Staples appear to be readily available lately.
    Time has a way of changing most things. (Won't say "all"; I'm sure exceptions will be duly noted.)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information