Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone stocking up on foods due to the virus?

Again the two sources I noted both have described in detail the L and the S mutations of the virus. It is well known.

My understanding from work related discussions with professional contacts in seattle is that that city is a ghost town right now. Personally I'm not particularly terrified of this disease but I would not go up there right now since it seems to be one of the more problematic areas and since I don't subscribe to Stupid Mike Pence's belief that holding hands and praying will help keep me alive in this particular situation.

As I mentioned in the work related thread on this, SO works for one of the MAJOR hotel companies. Their flagship property in San Francisco went from being completely booked for next week to being 30% booked for next week over the course of the last month. We're at post 9/11 level disaster for travel related industries.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

As I mentioned in the work related thread on this, SO works for one of the MAJOR hotel companies. Their flagship property in San Francisco went from being completely booked for next week to being 30% booked for next week over the course of the last month. We're at post 9/11 level disaster for travel related industries.
    I have a trip planned for a patient interview in Tennessee in two weeks which will take me through 3 different airports.. I am considering asking my client if I can do a video call instead. We'll see what happens over the next week and I'll decide. I'm in the age group (60+) that is supposed to stay away from all unnecessary travel. Maybe my client sees it as "necessary" but I don't.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Bumping this up for the same question. With all the talk of a resurgence of the virus in the fall, is anyone stocking up now in anticipation? And I'm not talking about "hoarding", but stocking up more than normal in some areas.

I'm doing my normal grocery shopping, but adding a few extra canned goods here and there. I'm hoping to get a lot of summer produce dehydrated for stocking the pantry.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

I usually stock up in the fall with a big trip to the Indian store for all kinds of beans, rice and flours and let the stock run out in the spring when I switch to mostly eating from my garden. This year I plan to keep the stock going and perhaps increase the diversity of the items I buy. If it came to eating mostly from the pantry, I want to have more choices.

I also plan to increase the levels of paper products, cleaning products and typically used over the counter medicines.

Pretty much normal. We ordered but haven’t yet gotten some dry milk as the store has been out. The mail order place is out too. So we’ll get it when we do.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Bumping this up for the same question. With all the talk of a resurgence of the virus in the fall, is anyone stocking up now in anticipation?
    Yes. Still buying ahead to keep the freezer and the pantry stocked. As I mentioned upthread, I'm a little surprised sometimes at what's no longer on the shelf. I've had no issue with stores being out of, say, paper products or meat.

Since I'm shopping pretty much biweekly and at only one store that time, I like to plan ahead if I can. I keep on my phone a list of items on which we're running low, like dishwasher detergent and fine-ground black pepper. That way, if I'm at a store that carries my preferred brand/form of the item, it's easy to remember to pick it up. No last-moment questionable substitutions that way.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

No, just trying to eat all the peanut butter and rice I purchased prior to the lockdown.

No, not stocking up here, although I must admit I found it irritating at the beginning of this thing that so many people were, my favorite canned veggies and virtually all pasta became unnecessarily sparse. I'll not contribute to that foolishness.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I think there's a difference between "stocking up" and "hoarding". Nobody would think twice about someone buying a quarter or half of a cow from a farmer, having it cut into steaks and burgers, and parking it all in the freezer, but buying an extra roast or two at the store when you're there is "foolishness"? Okay.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information