Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone stocking up on foods due to the virus?

Both Walmart and Target in Santa Fe are completely out of rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizers and alcohol wipes today. K. was down in Albuquerque today at Costco and they are out of stock on toilet paper and paper towels. Hoarding has definitely started here. We got a bunch of stuff to stock up on last week so we're good for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    Both Walmart and Target in Santa Fe are completely out of rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizers and alcohol wipes today. K. was down in Albuquerque today at Costco and they are out of stock on toilet paper and paper towels. Hoarding has definitely started here. We got a bunch of stuff to stock up on last week so we're good for a while.
    Instead of expensive wipes: 1c vinegar in 1 quart water. Validated this morning by a CDC reporting MD.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Instead of expensive wipes: 1c vinegar in 1 quart water. Validated this morning by a CDC reporting MD.
    Interesting! Would you be comfortable with this, Gardnr?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Interesting! Would you be comfortable with this, Gardnr?
    Honestly, nothing works instantly. Surfaces need to be wet and allowed to dry for kill time. And a wipe should do 1 surface and no more. If you go to another surface, you'll lay down the "germs" you picked up off #1.

I would be willing to bet that 90% of the population uses them all wrong anyway. That's why we healthcare providers get educated on proper infection prevention methods for cleaning.

I'm flying in a few weeks. I'll be taking a quart ziploc with 1:4 vinegar on some paper towels. I'll be cleaning armrests and seatbelt buckles. I have a plane change so I'll need 3 for each leg.

I don't use commercial wipes at home, and I'm not buying them for this virus. At home I spray everything with my vinegar/bkg soda/water bottle and walk away for about 5m. Then I go back and scrub, rinse, dry.

We bought more of the stuff we use every week so we can stay in the house for two weeks or so if necessary. Well, most of it: it's not possible to buy two weeks' worth of, say, salad greens. But two weeks' worth of eggs is doable. Ditto for having enough peanut butter, canned fish, etc. I figure if we're not locked into the house we'll use it all soon enough anyway.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    No, but I’ve got plenty of ammo.
    Gonna shoot that virus?

Personally we've bought a few things but nothing major. We were almost out of toilet paper but now we have 24 rolls. Beyond that no big purchases. Yeah, I bought a couple more cans of tuna that would be normal. And I decided not to buy a bagel because they are out in the open. But otherwise, life as normal. Next week we're flying to Hawaii for a week, taking my MIL. Hopefully it'll be a nice vacation. The only thing for that I'll be doing differently is bringing wipes to clean surfaces on the plane and bringing my work laptop and phone in case we get quarantined there so I can work if we get quarantined.

As to the media and "runs on tp", on my typical Wednesday shopping trip, the store seemed normal as well. Some brands of tp were gone, but I'm wondering if that is because they were on sale or due to virus. I bought some anyway, just in case. LOL.

Interesting the different takes on the whole thing. I imagine my reactions, etc. will change if/when there are actually cases reported in my immediate area.

Thanks for the responses.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I'm pretty well stocked up. I plan to venture out as little as possible until this passes.

Not only is coronavirus literally in my neighborhood, I'm in a vulnerable age group, and no one knows yet what permanent damage the virus might do. In this country, no one knows much of anything, by design.

My dad is 92 years old and lives in Seattle. He still works at UW in the public health department part time. I sent him an email yesterday stating that I hope he and his wife (a working nurse in her '70's who works in palliative care) are heading the warnings and being prudent about keeping themselves safe. I haven't heard back yet.

Thread Information