Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone stocking up on foods due to the virus?

Reports from China indicate that the virus appears to act like SARS and HIV, might cause permanent lung damage, and has already mutated once, from a particularly virulent version to one that is less so.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1181121.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    My dad is 92 years old and lives in Seattle. He still works at UW in the public health department part time. I sent him an email yesterday stating that I hope he and his wife (a working nurse in her '70's who works in palliative care) are heading the warnings and being prudent about keeping themselves safe. I haven't heard back yet.
    OMG, your dad is 92 and still working? I do hope he and his wife are as wise as they are industrious.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That is awesome, SiouzQ.

It's funny, my mom is 93 and has dementia. We were talking about her life in the assisted living facility where she is and she leaned in and told me that if Dad dies, she thinks she will go out and get a job.

I told my daughter in law that and she said, "she's my hero-- what a great default position."

I hope my mom's two great-granddaughters have inherited that kind of pluck.

The market had my favorite ice cream on sale for 1/2 off yesterday (though they were out of toilet paper).

So I bought 18 containers, should last me through 'till summer :-)

A little yes. Some stuff I probably should have for an earthquake anyways. I will self-quarantine if sick (well I'd get tested but who the heck knows the status of the testing situation, but I have insurance, and like always when i have employer insurance, I opted to pay more for the low deductible - sad but hey broken system).

But mostly I can't hide out forever if I wanted to, I need to work. I can't imagine any sort of quarantine of healthy people happening, maybe it should, but I don't see it happening even so.

I'm pretty well stocked up. I plan to venture out as little as possible until this passes.

Not only is coronavirus literally in my neighborhood, I'm in a vulnerable age group, and no one knows yet what permanent damage the virus might do. In this country, no one knows much of anything, by design.
    That's pretty sensible in that situation. Most of the country really has no idea if corona virus is in their neighborhood. So are they being paranoid, prudent, curtailing their lives and living like miserable hermits for nothing? Noone really can say.
    Trees don't grow on money

Most people can't sequester themselves indefinitely, nor would they want to. It would be helpful if we were getting complete, timely, and correct information from the government and health professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Reports from China indicate that the virus appears to act like SARS and HIV, might cause permanent lung damage, and has already mutated once, from a particularly virulent version to one that is less so.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1181121.shtml
    It is in the coronavirus family and the current outbreak is actually COVID 19. There are actually 7 of them. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Most of the country really has no idea if corona virus is in their neighborhood. So are they being paranoid, prudent, curtailing their lives and living like miserable hermits for nothing? Noone really can say.
    I agree - I have no idea if the virus is in my area or not. Interestingly enough, I really don't see a lot of "curtailing" of activities. Or else it is happening and I'm just not seeing it. I think those I know that are already dealing with medical issues may be curtailing their activities, but otherwise I just don't see it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

It’s in Reno and Vegas. We are still going out. We have a paid for dinner Saturday night that will have 200 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    It is in the coronavirus family and the current outbreak is actually COVID 19. There are actually 7 of them. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html
    Reportedly, this information comes from early autopsies on Chinese victims of COVID-19.

Thread Information