Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Anyone stocking up on foods due to the virus?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

But to be fair, my observations of stockpiling, at least locally, were all in the first month or so. Staples appear to be readily available lately.
    That seems to be what I'm seeing as well. And what we've done. Even though safeway limits the number of people in the store there is rarely a line anymore. For the first month or so I gradually upped our stockpile of stuff that we regularly use since pre-covid we used just in time grocery shopping, culminating a month ago or so with a $150 visit to the local butcher. Now I go maybe once a week mainly to buy stuff that doesn't keep for long. Bread, milk, eggs, fresh veggies, that sort of stuff. I'll also check for things like canned tomato product or bags of grated cheese that we use regularly and will buy some if it's on sale. (yes, safeway here still has weekly sales going on as if things were normal.)

We've settled on Thurs morning between 8:00 - 8:30 AM as a good time to shop. Most weeks, we are getting right in although there was a long line last week for no apparent reason. It went quickly though.
    We shop at Market Basket, which is well stocked for most items. There has been an ongoing shortage of disinfecting products, and currently you can see that much of the real estate previously devoted to meat is bare. We have a freezer full of meat, fish and poultry, so it doesn't affect us, but is sobering to see. Plenty of pasta, rice, and TP.
    We've definitely been buying a little extra of some staples. I find it interesting that we pay a membership fee for Costco which had absolutely no TP or paper towels last week, and MB has plenty of these items.

Our grocery stores are pretty much running on normal supplies here. Self pick items gone, deli's reopened. No more personal butcher. But we are in a big city with a huge amount of competition and if there were too many changes, people would just move to another supermarket. Stocks of such things as disinfecting supplies are available but occasional instead of always.

Since grocery shopping is pretty much all we do to get out of the house, we will walk to the nearest Kroger to check out the discounted items in produce mainly. Sales are running normally with ads arriving in the mail. And boy are we doing a lot of new cooking. Last night was Saag Paneer and Samosa filling.

I noticed yesterday at Safeway that hand soap and sanitizer are now in a locked case that requires an employee to assist you, like the batteries and expensive alcohol have always been.

Thread Information