Thread: Dewormer for pets

Geila

Dewormer for pets

I'm pretty sure my indoor/outdoor cat has tapeworms. In the past I've bought the meds at the vet but now I see that they are available over the counter. I'm wondering if they would be just as effective. Where do guys get yours?

Yppej
    I used to get pet meds at an ag supply store for less than other places charge. Currently we do not have animals.

Tapeworm come from fleas, so make sure you treat for them too.

I've used food grade diatomaceous earth in bedding and in the yard for fleas, and I know it can be eaten to kill worms. I think it's a low tech approach to the problem, which might work without bringing in the chemicals - so that's what I would try first.

Geila
    I've tried the diatomaceous earth before and can't get the pets to eat it. But I might try spreading it around the yard again. I do treat for fleas as well; the cat won't stay inside and she's the one who gets the tapeworms. She's the one who brings in the fleas too.

I found the Bayer dewormer at Petco, 3 pills for $25 (my cat's dosage is 1.5 pills), so I used that because I wanted give it to her right away. Costco has the same package for $14 online but I would have to wait for it; I did order some to keep on hand.

Dh's work is now offering pet health insurance so I'll probably buy that during enrollment. With three pets, the costs are going up.

Yppej
    When I looked at pet insurance it had none of the Obamacare protections against pre-existing conditions, there were exclusions for certain things for certain breeds, and age restrictions. Caveat emptor.

A friend of mine has collected more from Healthy Paws then she paid out through the years. The key is to get it young before they have been diagnosed with any health conditions. I pay 77/month for 2. One big bill and I will be ahead. My friend is wealthy so she can afford big vet bills but would rather not. Once your dog is older with chronic illness it’s not worth it.

Thread Information