Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you travel right now?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Would you travel right now?

I ask this as I begin packing for two days in Algodones. Mexico only has 7 cases - how ironic that I as an American represent more danger to them virus-wise than vice-versa. I'm hoping I don't regret this trip. Rob

I am wondering the same thing--due to go to a different state via air in two weeks and wish I had not bought the ticket, would rather drive. Son will not be understanding if I say I am not flying, I think. I am over 60 with respiratory disease and have already been on a ventilator once in my life and no wish to go back there ever again.

Depends entirely on the circumstance. And what you mean by “travel.” What you mean by “you” as well.

I would do a car trip right now now for something that was fairly important or necessary.I would not get on a plane.

If I was 30, 40, 50 years old I would probably be waltzing around ignoring this stuff like I usually ignoreD health related stuff back then. Not so much now.

I just cancelled my cruise trip up the BC coast to Alaska based on the travel advisory issued by Public Health Canada so covered by my travel insurance. Staying home and enjoying local activities.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The CDC has advised people over 60 not to fly (which is not widely known--due, I think to our government's covert handling of this soon-to-be--pandemic). I wouldn't let anyone's opinion override my caution in this matter.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/healt...ing/index.html

"The CDC guidance comes as two top infectious disease experts with ties to the federal government have advised people over 60 and those with underlying health problems to strongly consider avoiding activities that involve large crowds. Dr. William Schaffner, a Vanderbilt University professor and longtime adviser to the CDC, said these two groups should consider avoiding activities such as traveling by airplane, going to movie theaters, attending family events, shopping at crowded malls, and going to religious services."

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The CDC has advised people over 60 not to fly (which is not widely known--due, I think to our government's covert handling of this soon-to-be--pandemic). I wouldn't let anyone's opinion override my caution in this matter.

"The CDC guidance comes as two top infectious disease experts with ties to the federal government have advised people over 60 and those with underlying health problems to strongly consider avoiding activities that involve large crowds. Dr. William Schaffner, a Vanderbilt University professor and longtime adviser to the CDC, said these two groups should consider avoiding activities such as traveling by airplane, going to movie theaters, attending family events, shopping at crowded malls, and going to religious services."
    Its not widely known because mainstream media outlets like CNN are blasting it? Hunh? I have been hearing the “over 60 beware” news for weeks now. And I don’t even watch tv news.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

I heard this too, Jane, and then it completely disappeared from the news. I agree, they are downplaying.

We’re visiting our son in April and are driving 12 hours instead of flying. We are 58 and 60; I have asthma and he has diabetes. No reason to risk a flight right now.

On June we want to visit our daughter in Toronto. Have hotel reservations and plan to be there during PRIDE weekend. But we’re not buying airline tickets yet. it depends on how things look in May. That’s an international flight to a huge festival. Our daughter understands we might cancel.

More to think about than just the airplane: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...us-agency-says

Read to the end to see how the government responded.

I have a Southwest flight scheduled in three weeks and will wait another two weeks to decide to move the date to June. I am in the old age zone and whatever "avoid long airplane flights" means, I guess it is prudent to not fly. I also wanted to do an Amtrak trip coming up and will wait on that.

Thread Information