Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making bread

Geila

Making bread

Wasn't sure if I should post this in purchases or food - mods, please feel free to move if appropriate.

Dh really enjoys fresh bread and I usually buy it for him at the local market but now that's out so I'm wondering if a bread making machine would be a good purchase. I like the idea of just putting things in and letting the machine do all the work without heating up the oven. In general I'm not a kitchen gadget person, but willing to make an exception.

For those of you who have used the machines before, was the quality of the bread comparable? Was the machine easy to use and clean? Any brands you would recommend or stay away from?

Also, does anyone have a good no-knead bread recipe that they can share?

I have used a bread machine before and found the bread was tasty. The machine's agitator broke and could not be replaced easily so the machine got tossed out. I eventually bought a sturdy Kitchenaid mixer as I needed to replace an old handheld mixer anyway. The mixer does the mixing and kneading. I use regular granular yeast and it all works welll

I make my bread using my Kitchenaid with a mix of whole wheat and white flour or rye and white using a recipe similar to this https://www.lafujimama.com/simple-on...omemade-bread/
    More ideas at https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyl...-under-an-hour
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I had a bread machine when my kids were young (when they were popular--in the 90s--the machines were popular, that is )

I LOVED it! It was so easy, and the smell wafting through the house every day was great! My problem with it at that time was that the loaves are small, and I had a big family. But the loaves should be fine for you and DH. If you go to a place where you can bulk-buy the yeast, it's very economical, too. I think Amy D. had contributed to the sales of bread machines back then.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm actually making rye bread right now. I really don't mind the flour mixing, kneading, and rising process although I'd probably not want to do it several times a week. I suspect it's a 20 minute or so process counting some clean up time and about 8 or 10 minutes kneading and then the rise times. I make 2 leaves at at time and usually freeze one so it's not something a person has to do often. Since I'm self-isolating for a while the time and energy issues aren't a problem. I don't know how it all compares to a bread machine.

I had one and used one for about a year. Then I got sick of it. I buy bread in bulk and freeze it.

I would prefer to avoid the additives that make American bread problematic. I've used bread makers, and will again, but I might be inclined to take the kneaded, risen dough out of the pan and bake it in an oven. I look forward to making a good dill rye one day. Where wheat products are concerned, I try to buy European.

I used bread makers way back when and I guess I will credit them for my liking to bake my own bread. Now-a-days I make whole wheat sourdough bread from a starter I made using the Tightwad Gazette recipe. Thank you, Amy D!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

It could also depend on what kind of bread you like. DH had a machine and it made a credible lightweight fluffy white loaf, but personally I like a bread I can use as a doorstop, I could never get a good heavy chewy loaf out of it.

I am baking a loaf right now of mostly white and some whole wheat flour. I enjoy the ease of making it with my mixer and, more importantly, I know what the ingredients are. Of course having a fresh warm slice with butter is the rewarding part.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Wasn't sure if I should post this in purchases or food - mods, please feel free to move if appropriate.

Dh really enjoys fresh bread and I usually buy it for him at the local market but now that's out so I'm wondering if a bread making machine would be a good purchase. I like the idea of just putting things in and letting the machine do all the work without heating up the oven. In general I'm not a kitchen gadget person, but willing to make an exception.

For those of you who have used the machines before, was the quality of the bread comparable? Was the machine easy to use and clean? Any brands you would recommend or stay away from?

Also, does anyone have a good no-knead bread recipe that they can share?
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Breadmaker Makes fantastic bread. Be sure you get a horizontal loaf rather than vertical. The rise is better and more even.

We like it better than purchased bread, even from the bakery-I go there only for sourdough.

Easy to use. Easy to clean. Breadman TR875 is mine.

French Bread is super easy. I do half whole wheat. I've perfected a 10grain whole wheat as well. These are the 2 I make.

Thread Information