Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making bread

I, too, love the bread machine. The main time I use it is before Christmas to make sticky bun dough. It is so much easier and less messy for me. I stopped making the wonderful whole wheat bread because I was the only one who ate it and I don't need it! So I stopped. But I loved the loaves, would slice them and keep several slices in the refrigerator for breakfast toast. Now I'm thinking maybe I should do that again...but this round body says ,"Not a good idea!"

Coincidentally with Rogar and razz, I have a loaf of pain de mie proofing as I write this.

It seemed timely during a pandemic to stay in and bake pain de mie. <wink>.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Coincidentally with Rogar and razz, I have a loaf of pain de mie proofing as I write this.

It seemed timely during a pandemic to stay in and bake pain de mie. <wink>.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Another fan of the bread machine. We make all our breads and pizza and it is a huge time saver.
    It does take a little more work than dump & go, though. I always check the dough after the first 10 minutes to make sure the flour-water ratio is good. Wet doughs do not bake well in the bread machine - they tend to fall. Also, about 3/4 tsp yeast is plenty for most bread machine loaves - recipes sometimes call for a lot more, which can also make the loaf fall. Mine is a horizontal-loaf Kenmore that I got for $7 at the thrift store.

Have a bread machine I never use. I mostly make no knead bread, but occasionally make pain de mie in my food processor (and let rise in a bowl before putting it into the pain de mie pan). I make very wet doughs for no knead- typically 1:2 water to flour ratio. Time is best- the longer time I have, the less yeast I use and the wetter dough and the better the product.

Pulled my starter out this morning and will probably just make a small loaf for the week. Even before all the virus stuff started, had trouble finding unbleached white flour. Turns out there was a recall a couple months back and just recently seems to have depleted my store - or at least, that is my guess. Mostly use whole wheat, but still use some unbleached white to feed the starter.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I've decluttered my bread machine(s), but because the last 3 times I've been to the store the bread aisles are cleared out, I picked up some yeast and some bread flour to have on hand. Might be a fun project this weekend to make a loaf or two.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Geila
    Thanks everyone. I don't have a stand mixer or food processor so if I was making bread it would all be by hand. Or buy Gardnr's $150 maker. Which I might be too cheap to buy. I'm going to give the manual approach a try this week. My upper body strength sucks, so it would be good for me to do it. I found lots of good recipes on the King Arthur website, including a no-knead recipe. I like that you can choose filters on that site, like dairy-free, and see only those recipes. The reviewers usually have good tips too.

If you can venture out, the thrifts might have bread makers.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    If you can venture out, the thrifts might have bread makers.
    We have really crappy thrift stores here. I don't know why. I used to find great deals and good stuff, but now all I see is junk and a lot of brand new packaged socks. ??? And everything is expensive. I do much better shopping at Target and Ross. It's a shame. My theory is that everything they collect is shipped somewhere and then distributed from there because whenever I drop stuff off I see them loading it into a big truck, it never goes in the store. We must be on the crappy delivery list.

Thread Information